AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Free Heart!

Default Free Heart!

Boe Hog Farm is right up the road from me. It looks small and conspicuous, but it's quite a big operation. When I used to ship, they let me drop off my boxes there because UPS picked up heart valves daily. I went by today and asked if they could sell me a couple of lbs of heart. The boss didn't want any money for them. He said that he could come up with a couple of lbs for me more often than I need heart. Am I not a lucky duck?

I'm trying to cut down on fish costs in general. Protein is the most expensive thing, but between free heart and free white worms, I've got that covered. I can cut down on Al's worms. I love them and will keep feeding them but not every day.

Even my silly Mystery snails and BN plecos have been weaned off expensive Hakari wafers and now eat various cooked or raw veggies plus a daily treat of beef heart which surprisingly, is by far their favorite food.

I never thought that I would be happy to have 12 empty tanks. I love it. As much as I found doing WC and tank maintenance satisfying, it was taking away from my time to watch and enjoy the fish. Right now I have 10 tanks to take care of. Most don't need daily WC. Maintenance is a piece of cake now.

OOPS! I got off track and wrote a novel. Sorry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Free Heart!

Every fish I have fed BH to loved it and grew very well. Glad you found a close free source of heart.

I'll find out soon enough what they think of the pork heart compared to the beef heart they're used to. Our deal for BH for O2 tank is still on. I don't want to have to depend on the kindness of the folks up the road.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Works for me.

Real Name
    Jacob

That's awesome, Liz You can probably trick them into eating pork heart fairly easily. I'd love a small supply periodically, I'd probably still feed it. I did 30 pounds when I first started and they quit eating it, probably because it's getting old. I need to start cubing it up and feeing it to the dogs as treats.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Boe Hog Farm is right up the road from me. It looks small and conspicuous, but it's quite a big operation. When I used to ship, they let me drop off my boxes there because UPS picked up heart valves daily. I went by today and asked if they could sell me a couple of lbs of heart. The boss didn't want any money for them. He said that he could come up with a couple of lbs for me more often than I need heart. Am I not a lucky duck?

I'm trying to cut down on fish costs in general. Protein is the most expensive thing, but between free heart and free white worms, I've got that covered. I can cut down on Al's worms. I love them and will keep feeding them but not every day.

Even my silly Mystery snails and BN plecos have been weaned off expensive Hakari wafers and now eat various cooked or raw veggies plus a daily treat of beef heart which surprisingly, is by far their favorite food.

I never thought that I would be happy to have 12 empty tanks. I love it. As much as I found doing WC and tank maintenance satisfying, it was taking away from my time to watch and enjoy the fish. Right now I have 10 tanks to take care of. Most don't need daily WC. Maintenance is a piece of cake now.

OOPS! I got off track and wrote a novel. Sorry.
    Liz I am happy for you! Sounds like a win win.

Some info here...

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...-of-beef-heart

Also i have never used pork heart so not sure how true it is but search "pork heart vs beef heart" nutrition. I think both are fed to dogs. From what I have seen pork may not be as tender but if you are grinding it I cant imagine that won't tenderize it alot.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images