AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Minimum discus in an aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Minimum discus in an aquarium

I was just thinking that discus fish are sociable fish and like to be in groups. Has any one kept very few discus in a large 5 footer aquarium say just 3 or 4 discus together. I have seen discus pecking order and they kind of shake their heads side to side sometimes very odd movement. So my question is keeping 3 to 4 numbers of 4 inch discus will it stress them out in a large tank with few tetras and cory cats. Secondly has anyone kept black ghost fish with discus. Is it alright.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Minimum discus in an aquarium

I have kept four discus in a 75 but in a 5 foot aquarium wouldn't go lower then six, eight is better. Problem is discus are cichlids as they will establish a pecking order. Generally the more discus the better so the aggression is spread across the group.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I have kept four discus in a 75 but in a 5 foot aquarium wouldn't go lower then six, eight is better. Problem is discus are cichlids as they will establish a pecking order. Generally the more discus the better so the aggression is spread across the group.
    Pat
    understood thanks

Was wondering the same question. Currently have 3 discus in a 55 and surprised by how much room they take up already.

Was going to add 2 more (still am) but going to give them a little bit before I do. I can already see them getting a tad aggressive with each other but nothing crazy yet

Surprisingly enough, the smallest discus seems to be the most territorial.. I was wondering if some rummy noses would calm them down

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Remember that discus are cichlids and I doubt the addition of dithers would make any difference.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Dithers for me are used to stop skitishness. A school of little fish constantly moving gets the discus used to movement around the tank and stops the darting around the tank when you walk by. But dithers do nothing towards aggression. More does spread out the aggression. But if adding new you will need a separate tank to keep the new guys for 4-6 weeks. To make sure they are healthy.