ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Still winter

Default Still winter

Its easy to get all messed up here with the weather, but its still winter. I was reminded of that yesterday by the seashore.. Temps low 30s, but BRRRRRRrrrrrr that wind was cold. Not alot going at this park but it was nice to get out a bit Sunday morning...

Saw some Brant, a relative of our Canada Goose. These Brant overwinter along the shoreline here. I always enjoy watching these and Its one of the few things I like about Winter in CT.

Atlantic Brant ( Branta bernicla hrota) by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

My wife used to tag along with my photography ventures and initially she would take pictures, but wasn't really into it so stopped, she instead got into bird watching with me. Her favorite things are the winter ducks... so I encouraged her as much as I could. Set her up with a spotting scope. She watches birds, I photo them.

I spy... by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

A matter of perspective by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Neat thing about a scope.

Upside down by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

I actually like Seagulls, Many bird watchers and photographers ignore these as common and unworthy of an image...

BRRRRRRrrrr by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Real bad feather day by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Sometimes Color doesn't portray what I see and feel when taking a picture... Black and white does..

A Different Time by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Worn by wave and time by Al Sabetta, on Flickr

Then again, some times its all about Color...

Irish Moss...Chondrus crispus

Irish Moss...Chondrus crispus by Al Sabetta, on Flickr
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-05-2024 at 01:30 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Still winter

Nice pictures, Al. That Irish Moss looks a bit like red susswassertang (or however that's spelled).

Brant is one goose I'd like to see. We have tons and tons of canada geese here, but obviously not a lot of brant in Iowa. I have seen TONS of trumpeter swans the last 4-5 days though. It used to be that you'd only see swans in cemetery ponds or an occasional private pond where the DNR had a pair and maybe a cygnet or two. It seems like the population is building, at least in our flyway. I've seen multiple groups from 3-15 in them. And today I went down to a marsh I thought might be partially open with this warm weather we've been having and it was and there might have been a hundred trumpeters there. I don't have the gumption to break out my ancient DSLR and try to go take a good picture, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Nice pictures, Al. That Irish Moss looks a bit like red susswassertang (or however that's spelled).

Brant is one goose I'd like to see. We have tons and tons of canada geese here, but obviously not a lot of brant in Iowa. I have seen TONS of trumpeter swans the last 4-5 days though. It used to be that you'd only see swans in cemetery ponds or an occasional private pond where the DNR had a pair and maybe a cygnet or two. It seems like the population is building, at least in our flyway. I've seen multiple groups from 3-15 in them. And today I went down to a marsh I thought might be partially open with this warm weather we've been having and it was and there might have been a hundred trumpeters there. I don't have the gumption to break out my ancient DSLR and try to go take a good picture, though.

Thanks Jacob.. Brant are alot more timid and low key than Canada Geese.

I would love a chance to photo trumpeters.. I have never seen them. What kind of ancient dslr do you have?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

I think it's a Nikon D40x. Ancient isn't probably fair. Bought it refurbished in 2009.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sweet set of images Al and Carrie looks COLD lol. You might mention to Carrie that she can use her cell phone to take pictures by placing the cell phone lens against her spotting scope.
    Pat
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-06-2024 at 09:27 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Sweet set of images Al and Carrie looks COLD lol. You might mention to Carrie that she can use her cell phone to take pictures by placing the cell phone lens against her spotting scope.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, The scope came with a phone adapter, but its a little chinsy, and Carrie told me she'd leave the photos to me for now. Winter at the CT shoreline can be a tad cold, there was a really strong breeze that day..

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I think it's a Nikon D40x. Ancient isn't probably fair. Bought it refurbished in 2009.
    Yep that Dslr is a bit outdated..it lacks a AF motor drive so it limits you to lens with a built in AF Motor. I happen to have an excess of Nikon D200 bodies that would work with any of you lens.They are great camera's even for their age...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140...7718254342352/

Pretty sure I also have some D300 bodies

Both were prograde at their heyday..If you ever want to give one a try..let me know. Be happy to send you one.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com