AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Can I quarantine 10 juvenile (2.5 inches) Discus in a 40-gallon tank?

Registered Member

Question Can I quarantine 10 juvenile (2.5 inches) Discus in a 40-gallon tank?

Hello folks:
    I am new to discus-keeping. In a few days, I will be getting 10 juvenile (2 - 2.5 inches) discus. I would like to know if I can quarantine them in a 40-gallon for six weeks. Will that be too small an aquarium for those 10? They will eventually go to a 200-gallon lightly planted display tank. The display tank is now cycling with a few dither fish (which I had for a few months now). Another option would be to put the discus directly into the 200-gallon directly. What do you think?

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Can I quarantine 10 juvenile (2.5 inches) Discus in a 40-gallon tank?

Yes the 40 is a good start. Change 50% water every day and feed often. I’d leave them in the 40 till 4”size. Welcome to the site. Where are you getting them from??

Default Re: Can I quarantine 10 juvenile (2.5 inches) Discus in a 40-gallon tank?

good advice, Tom.
    Mama Bear

Where is the like button? Like Tom
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes the 40 is a good start. Change 50% water every day and feed often. I’d leave them in the 40 till 4”size. Welcome to the site. Where are you getting them from??
    Thanks Tom! I am getting those discuses from Discus Madness.

Real Name
    Tom

Nice choice. Pick your discus and get a video of what they are sending. Great place to go to and pick your discus. It or miss letting them pick for you

Real Name
    Willie

10 juvenile discus will have a problem in a 200-gallon tank. Discus are kept crowded their entire lives and juveniles will easily get lost in a very large tank.

I suggest you keep them in the 40-gal for a few weeks, keep up large frequent water changes until they fully acclimate. Daily water changes would not be too much. When they start to attack food, rather than just nibbling at it, would be a sign that they're fully acclimated.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

When they start to attack food, rather than just nibbling at it, would be a sign that they're fully acclimated.
    Damn I thought for a moment you were watching me eat. LOL

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    Damn I thought for a moment you were watching me eat. LOL
    Obviously you're fully acclimated.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Talking Re: Can I quarantine 10 juvenile (2.5 inches) Discus in a 40-gallon tank?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    obviously you're fully acclimated.
    lmao