AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick Discus & Need Antibiotics (PP Treatment did not work)

Default Re: Sick Discus & Need Antibiotics (PP Treatment did not work)

Quote Originally Posted by 32Bit_Fish View Post
    So you are saying just leave an air stone in the holding tank and not to use Prime or API Tap Conditioner. Would I able to remove chloramine just using an air stone? I thought Prime is the only thing that can remove chloramine in the water.
    No. Chloramines are not removed by aeration.Just Chlorine can be if the aeration is strong enough. The Prime chemical reaction is pretty quick.. you can add it to the barrel just before doing a water change.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    No. Chloramines are not removed by aeration.Just Chlorine can be if the aeration is strong enough. The Prime chemical reaction is pretty quick.. you can add it to the barrel just before doing a water change.

hth,
    al
    Thanks Al!

Real Name
    Mervin

So you are saying just leave an air stone in the holding tank and not to use Prime or API Tap Conditioner. Would I able to remove chloramine just using an air stone? I thought Prime is the only thing that can remove chloramine in the water.
    Prime in the aging tank should be used right away. If your water has chloramine then prime will bond to it making it non toxic, but that bond only lasts a day or so and then what is left is ammonia; the chlorine part of the chloramine molecule has aired off, leaving ammonia behind. By the way you mentioned powder I don't think Prime comes in a powder, sounds like Safe. And the API is three times stranger than Prime. You were using both. Over use of conditioners can cause a big loss of oxygen in your tank. So, you can only use the conditioners just prior to a WC or during a WC. No filters and an air stone in aging water is the correct way to age water.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Prime in the aging tank should be used right away. If your water has chloramine then prime will bond to it making it non toxic, but that bond only lasts a day or so and then what is left is ammonia; the chlorine part of the chloramine molecule has aired off, leaving ammonia behind. By the way you mentioned powder I don't think Prime comes in a powder, sounds like Safe. And the API is three times stranger than Prime. You were using both. Over use of conditioners can cause a big loss of oxygen in your tank. So, you can only use the conditioners just prior to a WC or during a WC. No filters and an air stone in aging water is the correct way to age water.
    Yes! I have Safe. I need to buy an air pump for aging the water. I only have 1 air pump which sharing between the main tank and a water storage tank (total 3 tanks). That was one of reasons why I am running a HOB on one of the storage tank. Now that I am not going to use the HOB on storage tank. Can I use that on my main which makes two AC50 on a 40G breeder. Would that be too much current for the fish? The ammonia level in the main tank started going down slowly and I have been doing minimum of 50% water change daily. The fish look much better. I will post some pics later.

Real Name
    Brian

I use the pump I use to fill the tanks to age my water as well. Just coil the hose around the barrel and circulate the water, if that makes sense. There's a lot more agitation so I can usually age my water un under 6 hours.

Registered Member

The ammonia reading still at 0.5 ppm. I have been doing daily water and there is still ammonia present in the water.
    IMG_1431.jpgIMG_1430.jpgIMG_1432.jpg

When do you take your ammonia reading? Test it first thing in the morning before feeding your fish.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

Some test kits pick up ammonia after using dechlorinator.

Registered Member

I test the water for ammonia around noon or in the afternoon sometime. There isn't a fix time I do the testing.
    My tap water nor aged water (after adding Prime) has any ammonia readings.
    I'm thinking about adding another HOB or a sponge filter since I am overstocking the tank anyway. 5 fish in a 40G breeder.

Adding more filtration is good.

What are you currently feeding?

If you do a a water test in the morning before you feed, you will have a baseline..then test in the afternoon to see if the biofilter is functioning right. Fish excrete ammonia from their gills and after eating they can excrete more. Test too close to after feeding and there a chance you will detect some ammonia especially in an over stocked under filtered tank.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Your discus look fine now. With your water changes don’t think the .5 ammonia will be a problem. What type of filter on the tank now? I’m also on the island and seems there are a lot of tanks for sale on marketplace. Did you buy your discus local? If so where?

Registered Member

Adding more filtration is good.

What are you currently feeding?

If you do a a water test in the morning before you feed, you will have a baseline..then test in the afternoon to see if the biofilter is functioning right. Fish excrete ammonia from their gills and after eating they can excrete more. Test too close to after feeding and there a chance you will detect some ammonia especially in an over stocked under filtered tank.

al
    I feed them the pellets and flakes in the morning, frozen food before noon and beef heart mix in the afternoon. I stopped feeding them beef heart mix while they were sick. They all seem to eating. I just tested the water first thing in the morning today. Ammonia reading was at 0.3 or 0.4ppm. Nitrate was at 7 or 8.
    I have a AC50 and a large sponge filter running on a 40g tank. Would you consider that tank is under filtered?

The Ac is small for that tank. I use at least an ac 70 on the 3 40's. I am running. I think adding another sponge would be a good idea. I don't know if what you're detecting is real or Artifact but if the fish are eating and not stressed its probably fine. Your pH is low enough that even if the ammonia is real its not much of a threat at that level.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

The Ac is small for that tank. I use at least an ac 70 on the 3 40's. I am running. I think adding another sponge would be a good idea. I don't know if what you're detecting is real or Artifact but if the fish are eating and not stressed its probably fine. Your pH is low enough that even if the ammonia is real its not much of a threat at that level.

Al
    Do you agree that a sponge filter always work better than a HOB? In my case, a medium/large sponge vs. a AC50 HOB.

Do you agree that a sponge filter always work better than a HOB? In my case, a medium/large sponge vs. a AC50 HOB.
    I would leave the ac50 on and sponge and add another sponge.

The problem with sponges is they are only as good as the air pump driving them and their pore size. I use both hob and sponges on all my non- breeder tanks.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast