AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Early valentines day dinner..

Default Early valentines day dinner..

Had a nice Valentines day dinner tonight..

Porter house steak was a special.. A real splurge here.

20240213_175359.jpg

20240213_175331.jpg

20240213_183138.jpg

Twice baked taters with pepperoni
    20240213_183134.jpg

And another Splurge.. Expensive vino.

20240213_183241.jpg

HOPE YOUR Valentines Day is Happy as well!
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-13-2024 at 08:26 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default Re: Early valentines day dinner..

That looks real good!

Yum Yum
    We went out for Italian today I will never go to a restaurant on Valentines day again. Had a bad one years ago in LI with grumpy friend and his wife(RIP). Today was awesome with leftovers for tomorrow.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Matt

Looks delicious Al, I'm starving now. I'm a steak fiend, my favorite food for sure. I've been really honing my technique over the last few years and more often than not would MUCH rather eat a steak cooked at home than a steak cooked in a restaurant....those professionals just can't do it like me you know? haha
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Yum Yum
    We went out for Italian today I will never go to a restaurant on Valentines day again. Had a bad one years ago in LI with grumpy friend and his wife(RIP). Today was awesome with leftovers for tomorrow.
    We do the same Chuck.. Going on to dinnner on Valentines Day in the past was always an under whelming experience.Restaurants are Crowded . People range from high strung to nasty, and the food is seldom as good as other days. It was nice when I was young as nothing tells someone you are interested as much as a date night on Valentine's day unless you own your home or apartment, in which case a private and special dinner for two beats a crowded restaurant.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Looks delicious Al, I'm starving now. I'm a steak fiend, my favorite food for sure. I've been really honing my technique over the last few years and more often than not would MUCH rather eat a steak cooked at home than a steak cooked in a restaurant....those professionals just can't do it like me you know? haha
    Thanks Matt,
    Steaks are my favorite as well. Professional chefs can do a wonderful job of cooking meals but when it comes to my steak..no one does it better than me..lol. For what a good steak costs in a restaurant there are quite a few chefs out there that probably should hone their skills on steaks a bit more. I have had some very disappointing restaurant steaks.

The only thing I wish I could have done different on these steaks was I used our gas grill. We got 10-12 inches of snow yesterday... My firepit was not an option and I much prefer steak cooked over wood coals than gas. .. it has more flavor. These steaks were pretty darn good though!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That looks so yummy Al. Tom had me buy five pounds of large shell-on shrimp yesterday and we will be making my most favorite dish, boiled shrimp using my grandmothers recipe and it's totally different then all shrimp recipes. I had to recall this recipe from childhood so I am sure it's not quite the same but it works for me
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

My wife and I are also big on spluring for really nice steaks for occasions like this. Today I'll be making a dry-aged prime ribeye complete with baked potato and roasted broccoli.

Real Name
    Jacob

Looks like a good dinner. We don't really do anything for Valentine's Day, but I did make a heart shaped card and left it in wife's car this morning. And one for each of the kids too. Our favorite dinner as a family is sushi, so I already ordered that to pick up on my way home from work. But I worry that there's a good chance I'm going to forget to pick it up!

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Looks like a good dinner. We don't really do anything for Valentine's Day, but I did make a heart shaped card and left it in wife's car this morning. And one for each of the kids too. Our favorite dinner as a family is sushi, so I already ordered that to pick up on my way home from work. But I worry that there's a good chance I'm going to forget to pick it up!
    Did you remember?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    My wife and I are also big on spluring for really nice steaks for occasions like this. Today I'll be making a dry-aged prime ribeye complete with baked potato and roasted broccoli.
    Photos? Sounds delicious! Dry-Aged Prime Rib eye? Do you have a good custom butcher/meat market near you Jake? My best local option is our Big Y grocery store but we dont get much out of the ordinary cuts. The meat is fresh at least and reasonably priced quality cuts.

I've thought it might be cool to get a half cow from a free range farm one day to fill our chest freezer... only problem is its filled with film and fishfood.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Photos? Sounds delicious! Dry-Aged Prime Rib eye? Do you have a good custom butcher/meat market near you Jake? My best local option is our Big Y grocery store but we dont get much out of the ordinary cuts. The meat is fresh at least and reasonably priced quality cuts.

I've thought it might be cool to get a half cow from a free range farm one day to fill our chest freezer... only problem is its filled with film and fishfood.
    No photos here, unfortunately. The wife and I couldn't wait to dig in to the meal yesterday that I forgot all about it! I'm fortunate enough to have a custom butcher about half a mile from where we live. I can get all sorts of custom cuts, etc. They're much pricier than the big chain groceries, so we usually only go there to get meat for special occasions.

I've also floated the idea of doing something similar with a chest freezer, except buying the meat from costco or other bulk "grocery" store. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    No photos here, unfortunately. The wife and I couldn't wait to dig in to the meal yesterday that I forgot all about it! I'm fortunate enough to have a custom butcher about half a mile from where we live. I can get all sorts of custom cuts, etc. They're much pricier than the big chain groceries, so we usually only go there to get meat for special occasions.

I've also floated the idea of doing something similar with a chest freezer, except buying the meat from costco or other bulk "grocery" store. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though
    If you get one, research the benefits of a manual Freeze thaw, vs Frost free freezers. I've had both kinds now and have to say the manual freeze thaw stores meats better long term.. The Frost free freezers are easier but go through mini-freeze thaw cycles that can cause freezer burns. I take conventional internet wisdom with a grain of salt but this time what is posted about these two freezer types has been accurate for me. It used to be manual freezers that you had to turn off and thaw to remove built ice were a PITA but the ones now rarely do. I haven't had to thaw mine in 3 years now.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Did you remember?
    I did!
    Had to wait about 20 minutes, but that actually wasn't too bad. The place was PACKED. It's actually good to see as this city is where restaurants go to die unless it's a terrible chain place like Applebees. We always joke that if they opened another Applebees across the street from our current one, they'd both be packed all the time.

The first week that the sushi place opened I went. Some random old guy came in and was yelling at the hostess because she wasn't Japanese and he didn't think it was probably a real sushi place because of that. Of course he had zero intent on eating their either way... just dropped in to be an, well... you know what he was being. Anyway, that's the kind of headwinds places like this have here, unfortunately. But it's doing very well, thankfully. They've even taken out some of the half walls and stuff to make room for a few additional tables. They've been around for awhile now and even survived through COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I did!
    Had to wait about 20 minutes, but that actually wasn't too bad. The place was PACKED. It's actually good to see as this city is where restaurants go to die unless it's a terrible chain place like Applebees. We always joke that if they opened another Applebees across the street from our current one, they'd both be packed all the time.

The first week that the sushi place opened I went. Some random old guy came in and was yelling at the hostess because she wasn't Japanese and he didn't think it was probably a real sushi place because of that. Of course he had zero intent on eating their either way... just dropped in to be an, well... you know what he was being. Anyway, that's the kind of headwinds places like this have here, unfortunately. But it's doing very well, thankfully. They've even taken out some of the half walls and stuff to make room for a few additional tables. They've been around for awhile now and even survived through COVID.

Not much of Sushi Guy However, Sake, now that I like. alot.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com