AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Strange growth by Discus eye

Registered Member

Default Strange growth by Discus eye

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Strange white growth appearing to be originating from underneath the discus's eye, emerging from its eyelid. It is wobbly and looks like its dangling like a rope. This started yesterday (2/18) and is still happening today.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    The fish still behaves normally, occasionally this white growth falls off after the fish swims quickly, but it usually appears again after a while.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    No medications yet, as I am unsure if this is an external parasite or something else.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    75 gallon, 7 adult discuses, ~20 cardinal and rummynose tetras added together, 5 corydoras, 4 otocinclus

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50%, twice a week. Last performed midday 2/18/24

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    ~2 months, half an inch of sand

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I do not age water

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    I use Hikari Ultimate

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp: 83

- ph: 7

- ammonia reading: 0

- nitrite reading: 0

- nitrate reading: 10ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

Tap water

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    Otocinclus added last week

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Once daily, beefheart and tetra pellets on alternating days

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    IMG_5057.jpg IMG_5055.jpg

13. What do you believe is the problem? ( many times hobbyists asking for help have already formed some opinions or sought help elsewhere. Being upfront here will save time and effort on the part of members trying to help.)
    Not sure if this is a parasite/external worm I need to treat immediately, or if this is an unharmful growth. Behavior of the fish is normal right now, it eats normally too. I have the following medication on hand (listing all, even if irrelevant to this case): ich x, prazi pro, kanaplex, metroplex, bactocide 1

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Strange growth by Discus eye

I’d say it’s a discus pimple/node. Usually means that discus isn’t happy with the water quality. I’d do daily 30-50% water changes and see if it goes away in a few days. Adding salt at 1tbs per 10g may also help.

Registered Member

Thank you, I can start with that tonight.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’d say it’s a discus pimple/node. Usually means that discus isn’t happy with the water quality. I’d do daily 30-50% water changes and see if it goes away in a few days. Adding salt at 1tbs per 10g may also help.
    I agree with Tom. I had begun to write the exact same reply last night and my phone died mid sentence. Early red flag for water quality. I would add that if you go back to twice weekly WC’s that you make them larger, or at least 1 of them larger to further reduce your nitrate & bacterial load. Your discus will love you for it!