AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New adventure, wife isn't going to be happy!!!

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default New adventure, wife isn't going to be happy!!!

I use to breed fancy guppies and show them in show's all around the U.S. but got bored with them. I still have 21 tanks running with some in them. I am slowly getting rid of them. As I was standing in there yesterday after feeding them I was thinking I really don't want to take down the stands and the tanks are already cycled. This is where I get in trouble thinking of what I can do with those tanks.

I have ALWAYS wanted to get into Neocaridina shrimp but never pulled the trigger on this. All of the tanks I have in there are the perfect size to start breeding these shrimp. They are very low maintenance and I would enjoy watching them. The wife don't know this yet but she will once I start getting the shrimp in. LOL I can hear her now OH GREAT ANOTHER PROJECT YOUR GETTING IN TO.

I want to start with the Bloody Mary shrimp and the Fantasy Blue Dream shrimp. My current PH is way to high but I do have an RO system I will implement for this project to get the water parameters just right for them.

Has anyone else ever thought about getting in to these shrimp to tinker with? The good thing is they don't take a lot of room which is a good thing.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: New adventure, wife isn't going to be happy!!!

Easy fix Scott. Tell your wife nicely that you plan on starting a new project that will cost around $500 before it becomes self sustaining, and give her $1000 to start something she interested in. Ta-dah!

Sounds fun Scott. .. I have thought of doing that. Theres so many shrimp out there. I have cherry shrimp now. I think before I get further into shrimpies I will wait until yours are availible.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

How high is your pH? Mine is at 8.3, kH and gH both 18+ degrees. As long as they're not getting predated on heavily by tankmates, neocardinia shrimp breed almost like guppies in this water. They're neat and if you're heavily selecting, I think there's some cool things you could do with them. I just have them passively in aquariums and they strike a balance with whatever is living there with them. I don't think the neos are too picky about water once you get the first round of them grown out in your water.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

My PH out of the tap is 8.8 thats why I will be using the RO

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Sounds fun Scott. .. I have thought of doing that. Theres so many shrimp out there. I have cherry shrimp now. I think before I get further into shrimpies I will wait until yours are availible.
    AL, once I get them and they start breeding I will have them available to anyone on here that are interested in them.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    My PH out of the tap is 8.8 thats why I will be using the RO
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if they thrived in your water, honestly. It might be at least worth a shot as it would probably save you a lot of time and effort. They're pretty dang hardy in my experience.

Real Name
    Tom

I also keep cherry shrimp. I’ve had many colors. Besides the reds blues also do well. To be successful you do need a few tanks. You’ll need to remove all the lesser colored shrimp on a regular basis. You can turn regular cherrys into bloody Mary’s by just picking the best and getting rid of the lesser colors. Not that easy to find buyers though. Seems everybody has them. 5 years ago they were considered hard to keep. Like so many other things just not enough people keeping them. Mine reproduce like crazy. If I remove all the grays and browns I’ll have solid reds in about 2 months. If interested I can send you some to start your new craze. Tell your wife they were free. You found them at the door !

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Stillwater Aquatics's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jonathan Novembri

Sorry not true about bloody Marys being really good cherry shrimp. They are actually brown based and a completely different line of genetics. I do breed neocaradinas, blue dream, bloody Mary, high grade cherries, 24k golds.
    -Jonathan

stillwateraquatics.net

Real Name
    Tom

Some pics of my shrimp.02E3E93F-D501-49CB-AF85-E3AC8B350C4D.jpg there are some grays on the lower end of the anubias. 8D16C3BF-5BCF-43DD-A333-5A9DA5A2D704.jpg. These are from my other shrimp tank. Notice the bushy nose pleco baby to the left. I can send you some of those too.