AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Discus Set Up

Registered Member

Default New Discus Set Up

Hello,

I have a bunch of questions that I'd like to pose on this thread. In the next year -18 months our goal is to house 8, 29g tanks (to be used as breeder tanks painted on 4 of the 5 sides) and 2, 55 gallon tanks(for large juveniles and to start the process). We already own the tanks. I have a bit of fishkeeping experience, years of New World cichlid keeping. I teach Jr. High science by day and my wife is plant obsessive. Please advise and correct any and all aspects of the plan that I lay out below.

Water: waiting for a our digital readers to come in but grandpa dug a deep well.
    Nitrates 0-5
    TDS around 150
    PH around 7.9
    I'll post exact readings later.

We have a 200g aquarium that will serve as the sump, and plan to have sponges in the breeding tanks. What's the best way to position my return to the breeders? I plan to put sponges on the overflows. Can I execute that without having too much water movement for the fry? This is my biggest concern at the moment.

200 gallon stock tank to even out the temperature before water changes. 200gpd RO for breeding. Is it too hard on the fish to go from 150 tds to 75 during breeding? And return to 150 after the fry are 6 weeks? Will pay off to keep the hardness around 75ppm year round? Could I find strains that would breed fine at 150 tds and ditch the RO idea completely?

Automatic feeder that only feeds once per day, so I can measure it out, to keep fry fed every 3 hours after separating?

Initial stock is something I'm pretty up in the air on. Worth it to pay double for 3.5s compared to 2.5s. 1 strain in each 55 gallon, start with around 8 per tank, I've read differing opinions on stock rate, grow out more evenly with higher stock, act more naturally at lower stocking rates. If water changes are done at 50% on the system how many would you put in for hopes of 2-3 pair?

I'm sure I haven't thought of plenty.

Thank you!

Default Re: New Discus Set Up

Hello! And welcome to SimplyDiscus! I would definitely spend some time reading our beginners board to get a good understanding of discus.

You have a lot of questions which is great. Id like to suggest giving some thought to more grow out tanks. It sounds like you plan on starting up a small hatchery. If you have even 2 pairs breed at the same time in those 8-29 gallon tanks you will have a real hard time growing out fry with only 2 each 55 gals. Its just not adequate.

On your TdS.. you can still get discus to breed at 150 TDS... you will.usually have higher hatch rates if you get the Tds down which is why RO water is what many here use.
    Is it too hard on the fish to go from 150 tds to 75 during breeding
    its fine..if anything it can trigger spawning.

Initial stock is something I'm pretty up in the air on. Worth it to pay double for 3.5s compared to 2.5s. 1 strain in each 55 gallon, start with around 8 per tank,
    Starting with 8 each 2.5-3.5 " discus in a 55 gal is ok.. but they will outgrow that fast and its harder to keep up water quality.. 55 gals are really better suited to juvenile discus and if you want them to grow big its going to be challenging.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Sound like a big endeavor your starting. Have you kept discus? Are you planning to sell your stock or just going to enjoy what happens?

Registered Member

Haven't kept discus yet. We do plan to sell our stock, we will see how it goes. Very excited to grow out our own genetics, shouldn't take the time that cattle do We have a nice basement area to hold the endeavor.

Thank you for the input brew, I was telling my wife last night that I think we need at the very least another 6ft+ tank to background the stock. That's good to know on the hardness variance. I'll post some pictures and updates as we go along. Currently scrubbing tanks still.

Would like to know water flow restrictions. Am I only going to be able to have sponges in new fry tanks, or can I connect all tanks to the sump systems.

Would like to know water flow restrictions. Am I only going to be able to have sponges in new fry tanks, or can I connect all tanks to the sump systems.
    I would plan on sponges and the sump system..just make it so you can isolate the tanks with shutoffs. Initially you will want to use just sponges when the fry are small but you can run a central filter when the fry get to be quarter size.. thats usually when I turn on my HOB filters.

One other reason you want to keep the fry on their own. Its healthier for them as you can do more water changes on the fry for better growth. Extremely important if you hope to sell discus. Theres also the issue of flukes.. i would suggest you read up on gill flukes ...they can be a huge headache to deal with when you have fry.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images