AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Mixing different size discus

Registered Member

Default Mixing different size discus

Hello all, wondering how much of a size difference is safe with discus. I have a 180g community tank I'd like to add a few of my juveniles to. Have a 60 gallon grow out tank with a few almost twice the size of the others from a batch back in November. I have 8 discus in the 180 ranging in size fron 3.5in to 5 or so inch. The juveniles are around 2 to 2.5 in. I'm running out of tank space and wondering if this would be safe to do this. Thank you for any input

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default Re: Mixing different size discus

There are a few things that aren't a good reason for doing that.

1. The bigger discus will out compete the smaller discus in feedings which will make the smaller discus get weak and possibly get sick.
    2. There will be aggression in the tank with the bigger discus to the smaller discus.
    3. Before you add new discus to your 180 gallon tank you need to quarantine those fish for 6 to 8 weeks before introducing them into a community tank.

These are just a few suggestions.

Real Name
    Tom

They’re his babies. Grown from his discus. Not sure if qt is needed or how or what would be different from one of his tanks to another? I’m at the same spot with my babies. Ive got 2 at the 3.5 inch size I’ve been thinking of moving into my 180. My adults are at the 5-7” size. But some of the adults I have added them smaller and watched them grow amongst the big guys without a problem. Is there anything that needs to be done from one tank to another?

Registered Member

Not to worried about the little guys getting enough food, I'm horrible and way over feed. Have two fx6s and do 50% water changes every 4 days with daily siphoning of the bottom ( my wife had to have white sand because it looks so clean, well we know better now lol ). If that makes a difference.

8 discus in the 180 ranging in size fron 3.5in to 5 or so inch. The juveniles are around 2 to 2.5 in
    You do have plenty of room in the 180. The risks of adding smaller discus is they may get picked on and even if its not overt aggression, dominant fish can intimidate smaller fish just by their posturing.

If you think about how many times members post their smallest fish is being bullied it will give you an idea of what can happen. It doesn't mean it will...just that it can. It could also turn out fine .Alot will depend on the disposition of your larger discus vs smaller.
    Understand also that the smaller ones may hide if you have hiding places.. which isn't necessarily bad but if they hide too much they won't get as much food.

As a general rule adding small discus to big discus isn't as ideal as growing them out more but at the end of the day you have to weigh the risks vs benefits and decide.

Hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thank you all for your insight. I will probably wait a while longer, it's crazy to me how much faster some juveniles grow than others. I am learning almost daily. The little guys are starting to eat like piranhas, fun to watch for sure