ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Grow out tanks, 30 & 60 days fry.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Grow out tanks, 30 & 60 days fry.

Sharing this from Facebook discus group and worth reading.

GROW OUT TANKS-
    I have a few questions on grow outs. Please respond as to your experience and not your opinions. I value experience and know everyone's are not alike.
    Question 1- Can you put baby discus that are 60 days old with baby discus that are 30 days old in the grow out tank together?
    Question 2- How many baby discus max to what size gallon tanks?
    Question 3- At what point is it proper to let the parents rest ( after 2 successful hatches, 3, 4, 5, ?????)
    Question 4- How do you sepatate parents to give a break. put one back in community tank and one in its own tank? Also, if you separate mom and dad for over 2 weeks then put them back in breeding tank, will you still get a sucessful group of fry or will the female be over by then?
    i appreciate all responses. IM so excited to have successful back to back hatches. i have around 100 babies as of today including 60 day and 30 day. This group of people have certainly gone a long way in my success..... thank you

Question 1- Can you put baby discus that are 60 days old with baby discus that are 30 days old in a grow out Tank together.

Yes but in all honesty age is just a number what is important is size. Usually if they are close in size or somewhat similar in size, they should be fine as long as enough food is provided. But just like Grandma said, never put all your eggs in one basket.😊 Also be careful that the two sizes are not a big extreme difference.
    If so and not enough food is provided then definitely you’re bigger Discus babies will go after your smaller Discus babies eating their eyeballs first! A lot of other breeders can vouch for that!

Question 2- How many baby discus max to what size gallon tanks?

OK here is that age and number thing again that can very very much depending on who’s in control. For the record, I do like to load a tank up with fry keeping them somewhat crowded
    This helps keep them comfortable and the feeding frenzy going were multiple other foods can be used. answer your question usually it’s a game where if I cannot keep up with the food or keep up on the water quality it’s pretty much time to break them down and move some stuff around. I never really relied too much on age or size just the condition of the tank.

Question 3- At what point is it proper to let the parents rest ( after 2 successful hatches, 3, 4, 5, ?????)

You can easily go a few spawns, especially if you’re helping the parents out by adding live BBS. But there’s nothing wrong with giving them a rest and a good conditioning of enriched high mineral harder water before breeding again. Usually after every spawn, I like to give my pair a rest.

Question 4- How do you sepatate parents to give a break. put one back in community tank and one in its own tank?

I prefer to move the pair to their own tank give them a rest and regenerate their slime coat alone.
    They will also need to gain a little weight and this is why I do not prefer to put them in a community Tank, where they can be pushed around
    But to each his own every Discus is different.
    Also, if you separate mom and dad for over 2 weeks then put them back in breeding tank, will you still get a sucessful group of fry or will the female be over by then?
    Usually when placed back into a breeding tank, it will take them a few weeks or a month to get comfortable again usually the first Spawn is not successful, but thereafter usually is.
    Also, for the record, if you take care of your pairs, treat them well and give them proper brakes
    They will produce for many years to come.
    But if you run them down into the ground, over and over and over while eventually, that will take its toll mush faster then you can ever anticipate.
    i appreciate all responses. IM so excited to have successful back to back hatches. i have around 100 babies as of today including 60 day and 30 day. This group of people have certainly gone a long way in my success..... thank you
     congratulations and you’re welcome. Take care, Cary.

IMG_6588.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Default Re: Grow out tanks, 30 & 60 days fry.

All excellent comments from Cary here.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images