AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Questions about eggs

Registered Member

Default Questions about eggs

Hello all. This is about the 8th time this pair has layed eggs. Second time in their own breeder tank. Firstbatch was eaten. They started out with about 60 eggs it's the second day since laying. Now they are down to maybe ten good eggs. 8 or so bad eggs. Thing is it almost looked like the eggs deflated. I don't think they ate them and it almost looked like a flat spot was left on the cone. Is this even possible or am I just seeing it wrong. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Questions about eggs

Have eggs ever went to wigglers with this pair?

Registered Member

I think they did when they were in the community tank once, it was really hard to tell. They layed them on the backside of the cone in a corner against the wall. With a mirror it looked like it but can't for sure say they did. Oh my ph in the breeder tank is 6.8 kh of 1 gh of 7 tds of 125 and ecc of 250 if that makes any difference.

Registered Member

Looks like there are around 20 eggs that are fertile, wait another day to see how many will hatch out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdr 63 corv View Post
    Hello all. This is about the 8th time this pair has layed eggs. Second time in their own breeder tank. Firstbatch was eaten. They started out with about 60 eggs it's the second day since laying. Now they are down to maybe ten good eggs. 8 or so bad eggs. Thing is it almost looked like the eggs deflated. I don't think they ate them and it almost looked like a flat spot was left on the cone. Is this even possible or am I just seeing it wrong. Any input would be appreciated, thank you.
    I think your best bet is to screen the next batch. That rules out eggs being eaten.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, forgot I even had a screen to cover the breeding cone guess I will let them try one more time, see how it goes. Just a little worried about the female seems like it's taking a lot out of her, been laying eggs weekly for the last couple months it seems. I will separate them and let her rest for a couple weeks before putting them together again if this doesn't turn out.

Registered Member

Well they have about 10 wrigglers as of this morning. Glad to know they're a viable pair for sure. They sure are tiny. Dropped the water level a little bit and will take more out this evening. It looks like the female is starting to clean the cone again, I suppose there were not enough fry so will probably try again. My last breeding pair let the first batch go as well.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Glad you got wigglers out of them good luck.