Most of my aquarium supplies are from Ken Mendard @ https://kensfish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    What is this Ken's that you speak of?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: New Design on ATI Hydrosponge

I've actually switched to the Pro version, mostly because they don't get stopped up. They're also easier to squeeze.

My major concern with sponge filters is economical. Manufacturers want to make higher margin items. Stores want larger $$ movement per linear feet of shelf space. They'll either get more expensive or go away.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I am not a big fan of aquarium Co-ops sponge filters at all. I have 10 of them right now that I don't even use anymore, I wish they had an option for large open cells or fine open cells. The large open cells they have now are a complete nightmare when it is time to clean them, all you have to do is barely touch them and a ton of crap that are in those goes all over the inside of your tank. I don't care how careful you are with them they make a complete mess inside of your tank.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    I am not a big fan of aquarium Co-ops sponge filters at all. I have 10 of them right now that I don't even use anymore, I wish they had an option for large open cells or fine open cells. The large open cells they have now are a complete nightmare when it is time to clean them, all you have to do is barely touch them and a ton of crap that are in those goes all over the inside of your tank. I don't care how careful you are with them they make a complete mess inside of your tank.
    They're messy for sure. The way that I've compensated is to 1) clean them more often or 2) clean them less often. I do a mix of that method and it works OK. I always have one going in my discus tank and I clean it once a week or so. The idea being it's less messy at the time which means less loose stuff comes off. The ones I clean less... I just don't clean them, frankly. Cory does some thing with a ziplock bag, but I find that a total pain in the rump. I make less of a mess slowly pulling the filter up and then putting a container up there and kind of catching the sponge and water that starts pouring out.

Registered Member

Make your own. 1" pvc, an rt. angle fitting. cut a piece of pvc the same lenght as the hydro 5, drill a lot of holes in it and cap 1 end..
    Slip the rt anghle fitting to the pvc attach lift tube at what ever lt. you want.It end sup an "l" shape.
    ,Drilll 1/4" hole on an angle at the top of the lift tube so that the
    plastic tubing stays put, insert the plastic tubing and you have a cheap filter that does a really good job. Also, easy to clean .Just slip it off the
    pvc squeeze and your done.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Make your own. 1" pvc, an rt. angle fitting. cut a piece of pvc the same lenght as the hydro 5, drill a lot of holes in it and cap 1 end..
    Slip the rt anghle fitting to the pvc attach lift tube at what ever lt. you want.It end sup an "l" shape.
    ,Drilll 1/4" hole on an angle at the top of the lift tube so that the
    plastic tubing stays put, insert the plastic tubing and you have a cheap filter that does a really good job. Also, easy to clean .Just slip it off the
    pvc squeeze and your done.
    Jay
    Jay that design works fine... I have made them in the past. I used to use pieces of ceramic tiles glued on as bases. Its alot of work but they do work well and is cheaper

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    They're messy for sure. The way that I've compensated is to 1) clean them more often or 2) clean them less often. I do a mix of that method and it works OK. I always have one going in my discus tank and I clean it once a week or so. The idea being it's less messy at the time which means less loose stuff comes off. The ones I clean less... I just don't clean them, frankly. Cory does some thing with a ziplock bag, but I find that a total pain in the rump. I make less of a mess slowly pulling the filter up and then putting a container up there and kind of catching the sponge and water that starts pouring out.
    I cheat on this. I run 2 x 2 Hydro V Pros (stacked) in my 125. Once a week, I just squeeze my sponges right into the tank. Then I drain the tank completely, refill and put the clean sponges back.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I cheat on this. I run 2 x 2 Hydro V Pros (stacked) in my 125. Once a week, I just squeeze my sponges right into the tank. Then I drain the tank completely, refill and put the clean sponges back.
    That's what I have moved to doing as well. It's so much easier than taking them out. But in tanks that I'm not doing huge water changes on, it would just make a big mess.

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Ken's Fish. Google it. Lots of good stuff at good prices,
    Love Ken's. Their Premium Earthworm sticks are crazy good for getting my Sterbai cories spawning, wildest thing.

As for the filters, i loved the old bases but like many I had some start to crack and rust. I'll have to check next time i squeeze it but I seem to remember my current Aquarium Coop being a different design than those older ones and I really didn't like it....it's harder to pull apart. And I agree wish the sponges were a bit finer.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Tom

Ok just bought a lot of foods and stuff from Ken’s. Needed some sponge filters and knew I didn’t have $50 worth of stuff to buy. So I ordered right from amazon. Next day delivery! I got these.EBE06FC2-CA7C-4CB4-96B0-948A2C43D1FD.jpg. Sponge is the same density as the ATI but has a larger center hole. But to my surprise this thing came full of media.2453290E-709A-40A8-B70E-B7E0B4BC54FF.jpg297577CA-3087-4FFB-A160-96009A7A4791.jpg. Never read the add just bought off the picture. Got 4 for $20. Nice idea. Removed the existing media and replaced with some seasoned matrix and so far so good. Cleaned up a second one and added to a new tank I’m working on.B3FCC608-5DE9-4CFC-B411-78ECD7824FBD.jpg pic has the ATI still .

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok just bought a lot of foods and stuff from Ken’s. Needed some sponge filters and knew I didn’t have $50 worth of stuff to buy. So I ordered right from amazon. Next day delivery! I got these.EBE06FC2-CA7C-4CB4-96B0-948A2C43D1FD.jpg. Sponge is the same density as the ATI but has a larger center hole. But to my surprise this thing came full of media.2453290E-709A-40A8-B70E-B7E0B4BC54FF.jpg297577CA-3087-4FFB-A160-96009A7A4791.jpg. Never read the add just bought off the picture. Got 4 for $20. Nice idea. Removed the existing media and replaced with some seasoned matrix and so far so good. Cleaned up a second one and added to a new tank I’m working on.B3FCC608-5DE9-4CFC-B411-78ECD7824FBD.jpg pic has the ATI still .
    Thats a pretty cool idea someone had. Its similar to the diy coke bottle filters but way more attractive looking . With the coke bottle ones you drill a plastic bottle full of holes.. fill with media like ammochips or carbon. Pass a rigid tube through the cap to the bottom of bottle. Use foam for cap. Silicon the bottle to a square tile or slate... wrap the bottle with that blue bond floss material and instant filter. Works great...looks terrible. Lol.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

After a long trial period I have to say I absolutely hate the Hydro Pro's. I lifted one out to clean it yesterday and so much junk fell into the tank I was afraid my fish were going to choke. And I just cleaned them all about a month ago. I ordered the old style replacement sponges to replace all 12.

I dont like the ATI pro-sponges either Brian. I stick to the finer ones.

Since I started this thread I have tried out the new ATI cages for the sponges. I HATE them. I did not like how the bases of the old style cracked and rusted over time but these new ones are just terrible.. they are slotted and filled with some kind of sand or gravel and you can see it in the slots.I cant imagine that its not going tp accumulate debris and bacteria. Honestly its an absolutely stupid design IMO. I am really not impressed... why must a company take a time proven product that just needs a tweek and instead they trash it and replace it with poorly engineered garbage?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Ha- I agree, they are messy. I tend to clean more them more often. It's such a course sponge and wish it were finer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12