AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater Suggestions?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Heater Suggestions?

What is everyone doing heater wise for their discus tanks? I am upgrading some of my old stuff lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Heater Suggestions?

I'm using Inkbirds on everything, so without heat controllers this might not be a good suggestion. But I have had great luck with the alphabet soup brands of knock-off heaters from Amazon. Their wattages might not be accurate (for example a 500W heater is probably just a 300W with a different sticker on the box). But knowing that, I've been pretty happy with mine.

Inkbird: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153905797620

I've had no failures with these heaters over the last 2+ years sample size about 15 or 20:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BPH67FW/
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R913KPF/

They're all the same heaters and if you're going to try to regulate with the dial, you might not have a good time. I've never tried it since I have Inkbirds to spare.

Real Name
    Brian

I really like the Inkbird controllers. I use them with leftover titanium tubes from other heaters and I use them with glass heaters. They have two outlets so you can use two tubes per tank if you wish, but they will only accept one temp setting if that makes sense, You can also get them with wifi if you want to monitor your tank remotely. What I really like is that they display the desired temp as well as the actual tank temp.
    I've never had a single issue with them but I have seen others that have. Another controller is the Ranco. It's more of an industrial grade controller that has a lot of applications. But, I think you may have to dip the sensor in a plastic coating to protect it from corrosion.

The actual heater is up to you. I cut the controller off of 20+ year old ViaAqua's and add a plug and I use cheap glass heaters I got from Amazon. You can also buy tubes from Amazon or Jehmco. They all work great!

I been buying Hyggers, some of the new large heaters have some energy savings tech. I been comparing using with Inkbird setting the temperature and Hygger setting the temperature and using Inkbird as the safety. There is an obvious small saving in the watts used when Hygger controls the temperature. All my smaller tanks I use Aqueon Pros for now until I replace them. All my heaters are used with Inkbird controllers (WiFi version) either as a safety or to control the temp.

These are the two models I have been using.

500 Watts

Hygger 500 watt small .jpg

600 Watts

Hygger 600 watt small.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 02-28-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jake

I'm also a fan of Inkbird controllers. The 306A is a great option because it has two temperature probes that will sound an alarm if one is reading significantly different than the other. Helps with ensuring one probe hasn't failed.

I like pairing those with the titanium heaters from Bulk Reef Supply - they private label Schego (German company) titanium heaters. My only complaint with those heaters is the mounting suction cups aren't the strongest so I replaced them with different ones.

It looks like BRS is currently discounting their bundled Inkbird 306A and heater elements, as it appears that they've moved to bundling with Finnex controllers instead. Might be a good deal to some:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/100w-...ef-supply.html
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/200w-...ef-supply.html
    https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/600w-...ef-supply.html

Real Name
    Tom

I too am using inkbird controllers. The 306. Same as the 306a but no WiFi. Maybe $5 cheaper. I’m retired and around don’t need WiFi . For heaters I’m using any titanium that still works aqueron pros,finnex and hyggers. Hygger is the new player. So far their heaters are great. I’ve used many different. Titanium and quartz they all work. Again backed by inkbirds. The older inkbirds have a stainless probe the newer a rubber probe. Havnt seen any rust on the stainless probes. Hygger also makes led lights. The 957 is to me probably the best light you can find and at 48” it’s under $100. Good luck!! Heaters as always are the major question mark in aquariums.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

This reminded me I need to order some heaters from Jehmco. Probably getting Eheim.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I use Inkbird controllers with Eheim heaters

Real Name
    Tom

Eheim are not what they used to be. Last ones I bought in 19 didn’t last the year. Only way to use them was at full and on an inkbird. Seemed like you just couldn’t calibrate them. Only heater out there that still has to be calibrated.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Eheim are not what they used to be. Last ones I bought in 19 didn’t last the year. Only way to use them was at full and on an inkbird. Seemed like you just couldn’t calibrate them. Only heater out there that still has to be calibrated.
    I must be pretty lucky because the last 3 I have bought haven't given me any issues and they have been running for the last 3 years. I also have some that have been running over 6 years without fail. I guess until I have issues with them I will be using them anytime I need a new one.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Agreed. I've had Eheim failures (at least two) in the last three years. And I've yet to have any of the random Chinese heater company heater fail over the same time and I own more of the randoms now. And the Chinese ones are a lot smaller. A 300W Eheim has to be close to two feet long.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the suggestions.

I currently have two of the Hygger which have their own temperature controllers. I just ordered two more and also ordered an inkbird. I have some heaters with runaway temperatures (use in the aging bins) and the inkbird will come in handy for that. I also use only Titanium heaters. I seem to always break the glass ones.

Jake, I checked out the links to Bulk Reef Supply. I decided to pass on them as the reviews weren't great.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Thing with the hygger quartz/glass is they surround them in plastic. Making them hard to break.