ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Web Browsers

Real Name
    Brian

Default Web Browsers

I hate Google but I use Chrome because it's always been the fastest browser I've used. I use the Duck Duck Go extension that's supposed to limit to eliminate tracking. Not sure how effective that is, but it's worth a try. I've tried using Firefox but they want me to answer too many questions to set things up and I just want to browse. I don't use Ede because I hate everything Microsoft. And, I've tried Opera but it seems to default to a foreign language after installing and I can't decipher it in order to set it up because I can't find a "translate to English" option like Chrome has. Duck Duck Go now has their own browser, which I really like once loaded, but it takes about a minute to start up and by then I forget what I wanted to search for, lol...

However, for about the past 6 months, Chrome undated itself and now has an auto refresh feature that p!$$es me off. Whenever I'm in the middle of reading or writing something, Chrome auto refreshes itself and I either lose my subject in a live feed website, or it erases what I'm writing because I didn't save it, which is impossible to do because it refreshes without warning. Last week I was writing a post on the forum that was taking a long time to think about, then Chrome auto refreshed and I lost everything. Google says they do it as a convenience because they want to make sure you're viewing the most recent information. They obviously think I'm to stupid to accomplish this on my own. From what I can tell, there is no way to turn this off other than to click a bunch of web links that only work for the immediate browsing session. If you change websites or open a new browser, it starts all over again.

What do you all use to browse the internet on a Windows PC? Or, does anyone know how to turn off the auto refresh garbage in Chrome?

Default Re: Web Browsers

Go to this link in the google store and download the second extension see how that works.

https://chromewebstore.google.com/se...auto%20refresh

once installed the last option is the stop auto refresh
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th