ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sterbai Cory Breeding

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Sterbai Cory Breeding

They don't need the powder for long. They seem to take BBS really quick. That's my biggest complaint about little fry, they are a royal pain to feed. And some of them don't even grow fast so they're a pain to feed for longer.

I've got some furcata rainbows brewing now, so we'll see how quick they grow.

Real Name
    Jacob

20240320_192034.jpg

This isn't a great picture as there's only one of the "new" ones really visible, but I brought over the next group of grow outs into the 125. It's very interesting to see the color difference between the ones from the smaller grow out that eat mostly BBS and the ones in the 125 who have been eating mostly FD tubifex with a mix of Extreme pellets and occasionally some flakes.
    I wonder if I could color them up with something color enhancing. I no longer have any freeze dried brine shrimp because my freaking cat opened the little jar and ate the whole thing the day that I opened it. Maybe I'll pick some more up. I wonder if the dried adult brine would color them up similarly to the BBS? Or at least a bit more.

Had an absolute disaster last night changing water. My phone's alarm for refilling one of my barrels didn't go off for some reason so I overfilled even standing in the same room catching corys... I didn't hear it for quite awhile. So that spun me up. I picked up the lid for the 29 that the corys had been in and it shattered. I didn't touch it to anything or handle it roughly, all I can think is that I somehow "twisted" it by picking it up with one hand which I have done a million times. As you'd imagine that further ruffled my feathers. So I was scrambling to get that cleaned up when I saw that the door handle had hit the little tub I was putting the caught corys in and they'd been dumped onto the floor for quite some time. Thankfully none of them died (at least not yet). But everyone looked healthy this morning.

I am quite good at multitasking as I have most everything timed out so I can set timers to keep me moving through everything that I need to remember. My wife and both our daughters were downstairs for a bit handling their snakes and that threw me off a little bit, but man... once it started spinning it really went last night. My phone also didn't set off it's alarm for the second barrel. But then worked just fine on a third alarm right after the two failed ones. Sometimes it will silence after just a little bit of alarm noise if the phone is in my pocket, but it wasn't. Really frustrating as there's not even an alarm "volume" so it's not like it can be silenced. Phone could be in total silence mode and alarms will still go off. I think I have a blood pressure related headache this morning.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 03-21-2024 at 08:26 AM.

What a mess, but as we all know, floods are a hazard all we fish nuts are familiar with.

The Cory's look great. The younger one with it's orange belly is easy to spot.
    Mama Bear

Just saw this Jacob. BEEN THERE many times. Hows the corys?
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

No ill effects, Al. They're eating a bunch of tubifex.

Glad to hear it!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You'd have to experiment wit the Sterbai yourself so see if breeder bags would work or not. They are way tougher than they look, but I'd worry about a puncture, too. I have some small 4 mil bags and some breather bags I could send you so you can give both a try. I use a heat sealer, but I've gotten fish received that were tied with a knot. I'd have suggested using UPS 3 day, but since you told me about that strange stress hormone, maybe overnight would be better. That is another thing you'd have to be your own guinea pig on Sorry I was of little help.
    Liz there is a way to double bag breeder bags. After you seal the bag you wrap the bag with wet newspaper and the you put it in the second breather bag, I tried it once and it worked out with PBR's.

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

That's great info, Chuck. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Jacob here are some of mine. I just added some more that hatch that are not in the picture. I also have about another 40 eggs waiting to hatch.

20240327_160100.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234