ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sterbai Cory Breeding

Default Re: Sterbai Cory Breeding

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Thanks for the info, everyone. I feel like the breather bags would be easy for a cory to puncture with their fins. But maybe not.

Al, yes, I know it doesn't take very much water. I've actually bought some of the supplies and do have some boxes saved up. But I don't buy a ton of fish shipped.

Sterbai also can release a toxin when stressed which kind of complicates things. I think I'd ship them two to a bag to help prevent that, but if someone has more experience with shipping I'm obviously all ears! I haven't completely geared up for it. I'm still enjoying my big pile of sterbai for the moment.

I hadn't thought about the oxygen cylinders, Chuck, that's a good idea. They're $18 at my local Ace Hardware.
    Jacob, Jehmco sells MS222 aka finquel might be worth looking into .. I know its used alot with fish that stress...like puffers. I have not ever needed it.

This is when jungle bag buddies were a god send. I hate its discontinued. I still have a half a bottle ..no idea if its good anymore . Theres a seller on ebay selling 250 pill bottle for $60
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I also need to find an outlet for about 60 CPDs. I think those are pretty good sellers, so maybe a LFS would want some.
    Try Aquabid.
    Mama Bear

I swear the cheaper and easier they are, the longer they last. They say the same of washers, dryers, and large kitchen appliances. My refrigerator is so old it's white.
    Mama Bear

This is where I got the idea but since bags are smaller you would more than they say.

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Here is an example just a BW laser printer

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 5.30.31 PM.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

I found these eggs in my mop today. It could Sterbai cory and Rainbow Boesemani one larger than the other.

20240314_180718.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Jacob

Interesting, tough to tell without something to scale. I'm going to guess that a baby cory looks a bit different than a baby bosemani.

I think they are cory since 3 hatched today and I have collected about 10 more eggs. They were on the mop and acrylic walls.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Matt

Probably cory if they are on the walls too. I've never had them lay in a mop in my tanks but I don't see why they wouldn't since they lay all over plants. Rainbow eggs in my experience have always been much smaller than cory eggs so the two in the bottom of the photo look like rainbows and the top look like cory.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Jacob

How does one seal breather bags? Does it take a heat sealer of some sort? I'm also not sure the sterbai wouldn't punch right through a breather bag. Anyone with experience shipping them?
    I've got some 4 mil bags that I could try shipping them in the more traditional way. I have an outage to get through this week at work then I'm off the second half of next week. Should I fast fish I'm going to ship? Willing to watch a video on the subject, but never know what a good source is vs a crackpot.

You'd have to experiment wit the Sterbai yourself so see if breeder bags would work or not. They are way tougher than they look, but I'd worry about a puncture, too. I have some small 4 mil bags and some breather bags I could send you so you can give both a try. I use a heat sealer, but I've gotten fish received that were tied with a knot. I'd have suggested using UPS 3 day, but since you told me about that strange stress hormone, maybe overnight would be better. That is another thing you'd have to be your own guinea pig on Sorry I was of little help.
    Mama Bear

Sterbai Cory eggs have been showing up on the glass also. So far 4 have hatched as of today and boy the are tiny. I have about 40 eggs waiting to hatch.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Sterbai Cory eggs have been showing up on the glass also. So far 4 have hatched as of today and boy the are tiny. I have about 40 eggs waiting to hatch.
    Thats awesome! Yep, VERY small fry! They will squeeze into places and holes you wouldn't think if the hatching container allows it so be careful there. They get to a much more manageable size fairly quick once they start taking in food I have found but that first stage is smaller than you'd think.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    It's funny that you think sterbai fry are small... they've got to be 2-3x the size of CPD fry. I think sterbai seem huge and they're really easy to feed!

They do get bigger real quick. I guess they are feeding on the fry powder that I spinkel in the container.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast