ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: When a few is enough

Default When a few is enough

I think sometimes we get hung up on huge discus spawns and if theres a small spawn we think of it as a failure. Even the discus pair thinks of it as a failure. Usually they eat it and breed again. It makes sense. Small spawns would require alot of resources and time. These things are better spent on bigger spawns. Theres just a better chance some will live to adult.

But what if your fish spawn and you really want fry from the pair... whats the smallest number of fry you will put effort into raising? My current f2 wild crosses ..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...in-a-Long-time

Were from.a small batch of twenty fry.. I ended up with 9 adults I am very happy with.

I recently "found" 6 fry from one of my snakeskin pairs. I say" found" as I didnt notice the eggs in the back of the cone and it was their first batch of fry together. Was wiping down the tank when I noticed them. I have no doubt the pair would eat them as they were already picking at the cone. Normally I would not bother raising them but Im a bit bored right now and I have a tank of ram fry so I moved them there. They are co-habitating but separate. I almost just added them together but there was a size difference so I separated them.

20240312_130033.jpg

The 6 discus fry are in a brine shrimp sieve I modified to float..

20240313_062843.jpg

The rams.. black and gold.

20240313_062903.jpg

The rearing tank they share.
    20240313_062912.jpg

I have no idea what I will do with these 6 fry. .. I may grow them a bit and mix with the ram fry to try and grow out.

6 is such small number... but its bigger than 0.. and sometimes a few is all you need.

As I say this I have 4 pairs actively picking at the cones and one pigeon pair laid last night..so I may eventually mix there.. time will tell.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default Re: When a few is enough

My belief is if you are wanting to take a chance on raising fry there shouldn't be a number put on it. Raising 6 healthy fry are just as rewarding as successfully raising 100 fry. If you are willing to do the work involved then it doesn't matter.