AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Garlic

Registered Member

Default Garlic

I did search the previous posts but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for...

Is it possible to overdose Garlic Guard or just plain garlic in food? If so, how would it affect the fish?

I'm asking because surprisingly there are no instructions on how much and how often to use the product... it just says to soak the food in it, but to me, that implies adding at least several ml in the food per each feeding. Seems like a lot! So I have added it maybe once or twice a day every day to dry foods or frozen foods. Is that too much?

Default Re: Garlic

Johanna,
    I don't use this product so I can't help there, but I guess my question is , Is there a reason you are using it?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I bought it to help the sick discus' appetite. The others seem to like it so why not use it anyway... it's said to boost the immune system and help prevent parasites so I thought they might benefit health-wise. There's garlic in at least one of the frozen foods I use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
    I bought it to help the sick discus' appetite. The others seem to like it so why not use it anyway... it's said to boost the immune system and help prevent parasites so I thought they might benefit health-wise. There's garlic in at least one of the frozen foods I use as well.

Its fine if you want to use it.. garlic can be an attractant for fish to feed. The immune system boost and preventing parasites is a bit of a stretch... there are active compound in fresh garlic that have these properties but they are very prone to degrading. So that part may be more gimmick than fact... but I doubt it will harm the discus and it should help as an attractor. I used to put garlic powder in my homemade foods for that reason. Funny , at times my fishroom smelled like an Italian restaurant!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images