AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifespan of HOB filters

Real Name
    Aaron

Default Lifespan of HOB filters

While doing water changes today, I realized that my oldest set-up, a 75 gallon planted tank in my office (non-Discus) was approaching its 23rd year of existence, AND the two HOB Aquaclears have been running non-stop for the entire time. They did have a 6-day vacation when we lost power and had to evacuate during Superstorm Sandy. But other than that, it's been 23 years of non-stop service. Do these thing just run forever or do yours tucker out at some point?

Default Re: Lifespan of HOB filters

Quote Originally Posted by gimaal View Post
    While doing water changes today, I realized that my oldest set-up, a 75 gallon planted tank in my office (non-Discus) was approaching its 23rd year of existence, AND the two HOB Aquaclears have been running non-stop for the entire time. They did have a 6-day vacation when we lost power and had to evacuate during Superstorm Sandy. But other than that, it's been 23 years of non-stop service. Do these thing just run forever or do yours tucker out at some point?
    I use alot of aquaclear 110s here and have had for many over a decade running. They run well until they suck up sand or debris and that messes up the impeller. I have had a few impellers go over time. Its expected that a moving part would wear out . That you got 23 years is amazing, They Motors don't seem to ever die if run with water as they should be. These ac 110s have practically doubled in price over the last 10-15 years but I still buy them as I really find them reliable and excellent at what they do.. I think I have 13 in operation right now.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 03-19-2024 at 09:06 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Mervin

The most cheapest and efficient filters ever made IMO. By far my favorite filter and used I've canisters and other bands, but always came back to the good old AC. They do last well over twenty years.

Real Name
    Brian

I use Emperor 400's. Some have been in service over 20 years.

Real Name
    Tom

Filters in general last a long time. With general maintenance there’s not much to go wrong. Only one moving part. The impeller. Kept clean they will last very long.

Real Name
    Aaron

Glad to see others appreciate these inexhaustible little filters. I still cannot get over that any electrical machine could run non-stop all this time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

AquaClear has always been my choise for hob filters. Only issues i've had is plastic top rattling and restarts after power fail.

Real Name
    Tom

For hob filters the aquaclear has been around forever. It’s the first hob I bought. 50yrs ago? Tried and true. Next would be the marineland hobs with the bio-wheel. I had aquaclears till I went to marineland. It was something new. This filter also works great and is much cheaper than the aqua clear. I like to try new things. Now I’ve moved to the tidal filters by seachem. Same fundamentals as the other 2 but the motor is in the tank. This keeps them running after a power outage. The main downfall of both the others. The tidal has a bigger media area. I would say it’s the new and improved one. Yes the old 2 both work and have been around forever. Yes some people never want change. Me I like to try what’s new . Even tried the much hyped FX6 canister. All hype!! No substance and way overpriced. But on the bright side I had mine for 2 yrs and sold it for around $50 less than what I paid .

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    For hob filters the aquaclear has been around forever. It’s the first hob I bought. 50yrs ago? Tried and true. Next would be the marineland hobs with the bio-wheel. I had aquaclears till I went to marineland. It was something new. This filter also works great and is much cheaper than the aqua clear. I like to try new things. Now I’ve moved to the tidal filters by seachem. Same fundamentals as the other 2 but the motor is in the tank. This keeps them running after a power outage. The main downfall of both the others. The tidal has a bigger media area. I would say it’s the new and improved one. Yes the old 2 both work and have been around forever. Yes some people never want change. Me I like to try what’s new . Even tried the much hyped FX6 canister. All hype!! No substance and way overpriced. But on the bright side I had mine for 2 yrs and sold it for around $50 less than what I paid .
    I really like the Tidal I have the 110 on the 125 gallon along with the wet/dry. I got rid of a FX4 that I got with a $400 75 gallon setup and I have another FX4 that I used for a year back in the box as a backup. I might sell it also and If I need to bring back to life one of my 75 gallon tanks I will pick up another Tidal 110.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Tom you keep saying the aquaclear doesn't keep running after a power outage but thats just not true. If the there is water in the filter and its got a good impeller it starts right back up when power returns. . The only time it doesnt is if theres a problem with the impeller. Thats not a design flaw ..its a hobbyist maintenance flaw.

Never used the tidal filter .. you said it has a bigger mefia area? How large is it?

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Looking on the internet I see this restart issue mentioned alot.. some folks say theirs start up no issues after an outage.. others say they dont when theres a power outage. The only time I can see it being an issue is as I said there is an impeller issue or there is a low tank water situation or they have their Aquaclear mounted on the upper rim of the tank .. if thats the case and the power goes out the filter may back flow into the tank and have trouble restarting .. but if the tank is full and the power goes out the filter isnt going to drain into the tank so restarting should not be an issue.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

I hear you Al . Mine never restarts. Got it used with a 20g a year ago. Runs great when I refill it with water. But when I unplug to clean the tank all the water runs out of it. I’ve played with the adjuster on the back from level to over to under. All water always exits from filter to tank. May be the impeller has a problem. But like I said runs great and quiet when running.
    As for the volume of the tidal? I’ve got no clue. Like I said I like to try new things. The media basket on my 110 is huge and has been running since 19 and I may clean the impeller once a year. The 55 also has a big basket. The 35’s basket is I’d say as big as the aqua clear 30s.

I have to laugh as after spending an hour or so searching "Aquaclear 110 vs tidal 110" my head is spinning. .. many people on both sides.

Not opposed to trying new things though so I will give the tidal the benefit of the doubt that its a good filter option as well as I read pretty much that..

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I see the aquaclear 110 $30 more than the Tidal 110 wow.

Aquaclear 110, $94 @ Amazon, $99 @ Petsmart and Petco, $94 @ Kensfish
    Tidal 110, $67 @ Amazon, $91 @ Kensfish

I got the one from Amazon for xmas and now the price is lower.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 03-20-2024 at 01:32 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Im kind of surprised that eheim doesnt file a lawsuit against seachem for the naming scheme.. its obvious as all heck that they are using the same naming convention as aquaclear has used for forever.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast