AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Scavenger Fish??

Registered Member

Default Scavenger Fish??

Currently have a Siamese cat in my discus tank and the thing has gotten massive. It's also turned into a bully as well, which I don't appreciate. Doesn't bite fins but it pesters the discus esp around it's "territory"...which also happens to be the feeding area. Discus don't seem overly bothered by it in general, however, so maybe it bothers me more to see it.

Anyone know a better cleaner fish to get to pair with discus? I was thinking maybe a couple sterbi cory cats...

Real Name
    Aaron

Default Re: Scavenger Fish??

Do you mean a Siamese Algae Eater? And there is just one? Yes, that could cause trouble. Corydoras would be the way to go. What size aquarium do you have? Corydoras should be kept in schools of at least six. C. sterbai tolerate the heat well. I have found C. oiapoquensis do also, and they are quite beautiful and interesting.

Registered Member

Yes Siamese algae eater - and just one. I have a 55 gallon but will be upgrading to a 120 or bigger soon. I'll probably get rid of the Siamese and go with sterbai. Thanks for the input!!

Real Name
    Tom

Siamese algae eaters are great with discus. But they need to be in groups. At least 2 but 3 or 4 are better. It’s not bothering your discus it’s looking for them to play with it. They love to chase each other. Like an endless game of tag. By itself it must be going crazy . In my 180 I’ve got 4 and 9 sterbai and 3 bushy nose plecos for maintenance.