ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New discus not eating

Silver Member

Default New discus not eating

I just received 3 discus form Chicago discus. They arrived last week and are in quarantine for the past 9 days.. I am feeing them FDBW and omega one pellets. The golden isn't eating. the other 2 starting eating the second day. i raised the temp to 86 per Miranda's recommendation. He seems to hover over the food but not take a bite. i attached a brief video. it is not being bullied and it is not hiding in any corners. what else can i try to entice it?

Thanks,
    Jim

https://youtube.com/shorts/9rw35U2fQRI?feature=share

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New discus not eating

Great looking discus! Always good looking discus from Chicago! It still looks fine. I’d just give it time. Did you get them shipped to McArthur?? That’s what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by jim LI View Post
    I just received 3 discus form Chicago discus. They arrived last week and are in quarantine for the past 9 days.. I am feeing them FDBW and omega one pellets. The golden isn't eating. the other 2 starting eating the second day. i raised the temp to 86 per Miranda's recommendation. He seems to hover over the food but not take a bite. i attached a brief video. it is not being bullied and it is not hiding in any corners. what else can i try to entice it?

Thanks,
    Jim

https://youtube.com/shorts/9rw35U2fQRI?feature=share
    Hi Jim,
    Congrats on the New Discus! Nice looking fishes! if the fish is not eating after 9 days thats getting to be worrisome. a couple of days to a week or so can happen. You really want to try and make sure its not just shy and is sneaking bites here and there. Can you partition that tank? I use this...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

foam.jpg

Its a kind of oddly packed..., comes compressed and you soak it in the tank and it expands. Its big enough for up to a 75 gal. Cut it to fit and partition the tank...Then try feeding.

You can raise the temp to 90F as well.. just aerate well.

Are any of them passing white feces?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Great looking discus! Always good looking discus from Chicago! It still looks fine. I’d just give it time. Did you get them shipped to McArthur?? That’s what I did.
    I and them shipped to my home. it made it easier for me.

Silver Member

[QUOTE=brewmaster15;1386234]Hi Jim,
    Congrats on the New Discus! Nice looking fishes! if the fish is not eating after 9 days thats getting to be worrisome. a couple of days to a week or so can happen. You really want to try and make sure its not just shy and is sneaking bites here and there. Can you partition that tank? I use this...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

foam.jpg

Its a kind of oddly packed..., comes compressed and you soak it in the tank and it expands. Its big enough for up to a 75 gal. Cut it to fit and partition the tank...Then try feeding.

You can raise the temp to 90F as well.. just aerate well.

Are any of them passing white feces?

al

hi al, no white poop. i have used this as a partition in that tank 0324241052.jpg? also, i used neons as dither and hero fish. can they withstand the 90 degree tank temp? if not, i was going move them to my community tank after quarantine.

thanks,
    jim

Silver Member

I am bumping this back up. i am getting semi concerned. I moved the discus to its own 20galloon tank. i raised the temp to 90 degrees. I tried feeding it FWBD and frozen beef heart dipped in garlic guard and it still not eating. no clamped fins. it is active. any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,
    jim

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for bumping. I just saw this. First off, I'm not blaming Chicago Discus. The have some wonderful stock and things like this can happen no matter where they come from. I've ordered a few times from Miranda and will again, but one time some of my new arrivals weren't eating as well. I bumped the temp to 93, added 3-4 tablespoons salt per 10g and fed a sparingly variety of foods including my homemade BH/shrimp mix and Al's FDBW's. I cut the worms into 1/4 cubes just to spark some interest and to not allow uneaten food to go to waste and foul the water. I reduced water changes to 40% every other day so as not to spook them. It took a bit, but they eventually snapped out of it and became very aggressive eaters.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks for bumping. I just saw this. First off, I'm not blaming Chicago Discus. The have some wonderful stock and things like this can happen no matter where they come from. I've ordered a few times from Miranda and will again, but one time some of my new arrivals weren't eating as well. I bumped the temp to 93, added 3-4 tablespoons salt per 10g and fed a sparingly variety of foods including my homemade BH/shrimp mix and Al's FDBW's. I cut the worms into 1/4 cubes just to spark some interest and to not allow uneaten food to go to waste and foul the water. I reduced water changes to 40% every other day so as not to spook them. It took a bit, but they eventually snapped out of it and became very aggressive eaters.
    thank you for the reply, i will give that a try...

Jim,
    You can also try some live foods.. If you have blackworms or live brine shrimp... that may do the trick ..Sometimes even frozen Bloodworms or frozen brine ship will entice them as it floats around the tank. Be sure the tanks not too bright also.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member

thanks al, i have some frozen brine shrimp. 1 question, my heaters only go up to 88 degrees. are there any good heaters than can bring the temp up to 93?..

thanks,

Real Name
    Brian

Most titanium heaters with external controller will work. Just read the fine print. Hyggar comes to mind but there are others as well. I used an Inkbird controller with a titanium tube. The digital controller reads out both desired temp and actual temp.

Silver Member

thanks ! i use inkbird controllers also.

Silver Member

i am updating this thread. i moved the discus to a quarantine tank. set the temp at 92, i fed it some frozen blood worms to entice its appetite, it started to eat, i then changed to FDBW. it was picking at the FDWM more and more, i started to lower the temp 1 degree a day for about 3 days, , hoping i can get it to eat with a lower temp. i did 50% W/C ever other day. i didn't notice an poop it since started to eat. yesterday morning it was swimming actively in the tank. it suddenly went into the corner and hasn't moved in a full day, i move the temp back up to 90. i added epsom salt last night thinking it may have bloated. i put some FDBW in the tank, but no change so far. is there anything else i can try?

Jim is there any sign of swelling or bloat?

How much epsom?

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Silver Member

3 tablespoons per 10 gal. 20 gal tank.. i dont notice any, i will try to attach a pic to thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast