ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Amazon Swords

Registered Member

Default Amazon Swords

I'm planning on a couple Amazon Swords in my Discus tank, my question is, does anyone dip them in anything to disinfect them, or is there any reason to do so, my thoughts are in case of snails and other bacteria if there is any.

Real Name
    Aaron

Default Re: Amazon Swords

I disinfect all plants that go into any of my tanks, Discus or otherwise. I use potassium permanganate

Registered Member

Thanks, at what mixed would a person use .......

Real Name
    Aaron

If you are new to PP I would suggest purchasing one of the pre-made solutions rather than starting with crystals and making your own. There are several on the market under various brand names. Jungle Clear Water is one and if you don't need a lot, this is a cheap and readily available option. For treating plants, a 4ppm solution is suggested at a dosage of one teaspoon per 5 gallons of water. (You use half that, a 2ppm solution, 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons if fish are involved.) Jungle Clear Water is available at many aquarium/pet shops and numerous places on line. When you add the PP to the water the water should turn a brilliant purple-pink color. If that color changes to brownish before an hour's bath is achieved, add another half teaspoon per 5 gallons. Once again, this is only for a plant bath. Dosage for fish is less. When the bath is finished, remove the plants with utensils or gloved hands and rinse them off.
    Last edited by gimaal; 03-27-2024 at 03:57 PM.

Registered Member

Thank you for the information, I will look into your suggestions