AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bath dip for plants

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default Bath dip for plants

I will be getting plants in pretty soon but do not want any snails of their eggs in my tank that I am putting them in. I know there is a bath dip you can do to plants to kill off any snails or eggs, does anyone know what the water ratio is in doing this so you don't kill the plants? Also what is anyone else doing to keep plants they receive from pests and snails?

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Bath dip for plants

There's also a method of "reverse respiration" using seltzer water.

https://reverserespiration.com/

I have used this on durable plants like anubias and java fern type plants. I've had it destroy more fragile plants like hornwort.

Registered Member

In vitro -plants are the easiest if you can get them, no need to quarantine or disinfect at all. They are small to start with, but absolutely safe, my personal experience so far has been very positive.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    There's also a method of "reverse respiration" using seltzer water.

https://reverserespiration.com/

I have used this on durable plants like anubias and java fern type plants. I've had it destroy more fragile plants like hornwort.
    I read the link that you have, it states its very good on different types of algae but said nothing about snails or snail eggs.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    I read the link that you have, it states its very good on different types of algae but said nothing about snails or snail eggs.
    It kills snails and eggs. I think they might talk more broadly about "pests". The website I haven't really read, but there's a huge thread about it over on the Aquarium Co-Op Forum.

Snails on the website:
    https://reverserespiration.com/a-tough-egg-to-crack
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 04-01-2024 at 05:21 PM.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I am getting Java Moss sent to me, do you think seltzer water would hurt that plant?

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Discus Fever View Post
    I am getting Java Moss sent to me, do you think seltzer water would hurt that plant?
    I have not used it on java moss. I would see if there's any information on the Aquarium Co-Op forum about that specific plant. I have terrible luck with java moss in general and right now I've actually got some that growing pretty well and I don't even want to tempt the fates by giving you any advice about it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

In my experience, there are many ways of killing hitchhiker snails on plants but I've yet to find an effective way to kill off snail eggs. The eggs are usually encased in a jelly substance that protects them and seems impervious to most chemicals. These days I usually dip my plants in a pp solution - this removes all algae and pests except snail eggs.

If the only plant you need is Java moss I would strongly recommend getting the smallest package of tissue cultured Java moss that you can find and cultivate the amount that you need. It's very much a weed in the right conditions and there was a period of time that I was throwing away fistfuls of moss every week because it just grew way too fast for me to keep up with non wasteful disposal.

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
    In my experience, there are many ways of killing hitchhiker snails on plants but I've yet to find an effective way to kill off snail eggs. The eggs are usually encased in a jelly substance that protects them and seems impervious to most chemicals. These days I usually dip my plants in a pp solution - this removes all algae and pests except snail eggs.

If the only plant you need is Java moss I would strongly recommend getting the smallest package of tissue cultured Java moss that you can find and cultivate the amount that you need. It's very much a weed in the right conditions and there was a period of time that I was throwing away fistfuls of moss every week because it just grew way too fast for me to keep up with non wasteful disposal.
    Are snail eggs impervious to PP? That's my go-to disinfectant for plants and I've never had a snail issue after a 4-hour PP bath. Or have i just been lucky?

Real Name
    Jacob

Does PP harm the plants or cause a bunch of melting?

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Does PP harm the plants or cause a bunch of melting?
    Not in my experience even when I upped the bath to 4ppm.