AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Europa Discus Tour

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Europa Discus Tour

Aquarium Coop posted this tour of Europa Discus's facility today. Heck of a setup by the looks of it. Clean setups and well thought through it seems.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Europa Discus Tour

It seems risky to me to have so much invested and have all of the breeding tanks on a centralized sump system. The potential for a total loss of all the breeders to accidental cross contamination seems to be a huge risk.

Real Name
    Jacob

Probably depends on the sourcing of his fish, but I assumed that he is raising his own, so would there be much CC risk?
    I think Hans has water shared with his whole stock as well, but obviously he isn't actively breeding.

Real Name
    Jake

I watched this whole video this past weekend when I had some down time, and I think Europa doesn't import any fish and only sell what they breed. I assume this is why they're able to place everything on a central sump system because there isn't much risk of CC. That said, I'd still be too paranoid to do it if I had that level of investment in to a breeding operation.

Still a very neat video and I really enjoyed seeing some of the behind the scenes of how the whole system is designed.

Registered Member

Having a central filter system is nice just a flip of the switch as one breeder tells me and 1000 gallons water change, but the tanks still need to be wipe down and
    all the waste on the tank floor to be siphon out. Everything sounds good over 200 tanks with just the flip of the switch but why are some fry turning dark. I said the fry before the central was fine and the production was much higher. What the breeder did
    later was separated the fry into individual tanks without the central. Problem solved!