AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotus flower!

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Lotus flower!

That's awesome! I have never had a flower, but I have a couple of decent lotus in my aquariums. One of them went gang-busters sometime ago and sent out like 10 babies. I'm not good at growing plants though so I'm constantly trimming back melting leaves because I neglect to put root tabs in.

Registered Member

It's the first one for me too. Wish I knew what triggered the flowering so I could do it again. It's springtime so maybe it's just that. Or the new liquid ferts I've added very carefully over the past 3 weeks or so (also gave me a little cyanobacteria invasion but looks like that's going away now). Or the new 'plant' spotlight I got. Anyway it's very cool, and before I googled it I was confused why the flower was in full bloom in the morning when it was still dark and soon closed its petals when I turned on the lights... apparently they bloom at night!

Real Name
    Aaron

That's great! Years ago i had one bloom in an outdoor goldfish pond but never got one to bloom in an aquarium. Congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us!

Registered Member

Thank you! Of course I'm sharing it, this community has been such a great support when having problems or questions but positive surprises deserve to be shared too

It is way cool as well as exquisit. Thanks for sharing.

You have an excellent instincts for plants, and style. Plus, you're a fast learner for a Discus newbie.
    Mama Bear

I have never had my bloom.. but I have one potted one thats been awesome so far..maybe one day it will bloom.

Congratulations!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Beautiful Johanna, both the blossom and the tank. You really have a green thumb
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Aaron

Johanna, I love that your aquarium is framed. Is it vintage? Or did you find someplace that still makes them? I have several vintage, stainless steel-framed tanks up and running here. They are quite collectible these days.

Registered Member

Thank you thank you thank you I don't know about the green thumb though, aquatic plants are the only ones I manage to grow! I blame the dogs, they destroy anything I try to plant in the garden.

Liz; as for being a fast learner... I've tried keeping discus before, many years ago. It didn't go very well. So I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and most importantly from those with more experience. One of the things I've had to unlearn and start thinking differently is the role of plants in the aquarium. I used to think of plants as a natural water cleaning system, sort of. I believed that having lots of plants meant less need of water changes and cleaning. Discus hobby has taught me differently and made me understand the complex relationship between flora and fauna and water quality much better. So I'm trying to optimize my routines for both the discus and the plants. So far I think the plants also benefit from the needs of the high-maintenance discus.

Aaron; I bought this tank and stand last summer from someone who was moving house and needed to get rid of it quickly so it was very cheap and I didn't ask many questions But I think he said it was about 5 years old and the stand was custom built for it by a carpenter. To my knowledge, there is at least one manufacturer who still makes framed tanks in Finland, but this one looks different. Could be an older model? To be honest I mostly bought it for the stand because it's very impressive. Solid wood and very sturdy and heavy + plenty of room for the equipment. Plus I think the frames actually look nice and add a bit of protection against accidental hits and scrapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
    Thank you thank you thank you I don't know about the green thumb though, aquatic plants are the only ones I manage to grow! I blame the dogs, they destroy anything I try to plant in the garden.

Liz; as for being a fast learner... I've tried keeping discus before, many years ago. It didn't go very well. So I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and most importantly from those with more experience. One of the things I've had to unlearn and start thinking differently is the role of plants in the aquarium. I used to think of plants as a natural water cleaning system, sort of. I believed that having lots of plants meant less need of water changes and cleaning. Discus hobby has taught me differently and made me understand the complex relationship between flora and fauna and water quality much better. So I'm trying to optimize my routines for both the discus and the plants. So far I think the plants also benefit from the needs of the high-maintenance discus.

Aaron; I bought this tank and stand last summer from someone who was moving house and needed to get rid of it quickly so it was very cheap and I didn't ask many questions But I think he said it was about 5 years old and the stand was custom built for it by a carpenter. To my knowledge, there is at least one manufacturer who still makes framed tanks in Finland, but this one looks different. Could be an older model? To be honest I mostly bought it for the stand because it's very impressive. Solid wood and very sturdy and heavy + plenty of room for the equipment. Plus I think the frames actually look nice and add a bit of protection against accidental hits and scrapes.
    That's exactly what I was talking about, Johanna.

Aaron, I used to have a 75 that looked just like that. It has an aluminum frame. I've never seen another tank like it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Aaron

Johanna: Ah, Finland. I forgot that's where you are. I so like how the old tanks literally framed a living picture.

Liz: Most of my vintage framed tanks are smaller--5-20 gallons--so I've never gotten to use them for Discus. But there are a couple of offerings on ebay right now, a 55g and two 45gs that look like they are mint and I am sorely tempted. The 45g has the advantage of being 18" front to back.

It sounds like having them would give you pleasure. I say go for it. But I always followed my heart and I ended up broke. Just a warning...
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    It sounds like having them would give you pleasure. I say go for it. But I always followed my heart and I ended up broke. Just a warning...
    Thanks, Liz. Trust me, I can relate.

Boy going back when I was 16 (long ago) and lived in Bueno Aires I had my first fish tank made out of angled steel welded, built in stand all one piece. At least 100 gallon.. old memories. I call that vintage..
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast