AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New to Discus, Help me get started :)

Registered Member

Question New to Discus, Help me get started :)

Hello seasoned discus veterans,

I have finally got my 63gallon(240L) tank setup with a 15gallon sump filter

After years of watching youtube videos and reading discussons in this website i ordered 6 Red melons("4) from a local fish store (Imports discus from Malaysia)

Problem Facing:

-- I get my RO water from nearby RO plant (TDS-45-55, PH-6.3) but after airation and ageing for past 2 days the PH got Higher to 8.2, How do i Fix
    -- How long should i cycle my Aquariam water?, am planning to add few widows from my sister's fish tank to build some Ammonia to start good bacteria in the sump (Ceramic rings, Ceramic balls and NanoTaro Rolls)

I took a step into discus world(very expensive in India) with hopes of getting support from SimplyDiscis, Hope it goes well

Thanks in Advance

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New to Discus, Help me get started :)

Hi and welcome to Simply First I would suggest that you may not need RO water as domestic discus can easily handle a ph of 8.2. What's the parameters of your normal water? Regarding cycling your 63 gallon tank do you have access to clear ammonia? If yes best to use that for a fishless cycle, no need to introduce fish from another tank to be a possible source of cross contamination for your new discus.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening