AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tell me how to move my discus... please

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Tell me how to move my discus... please

The discus that I've had for two years have been in a 75. The field has winnowed down to only seven of the original ten as one finally died in a hospital tank of some long-standing wasting that responded to absolutely nothing and eventually took it out over a period of months. It's been a while now and so I am fairly convinced that the remaining discus are OK.

I've had a 125 with a sump running for them for months now and it has a bunch (~40-50) juvenile sterbai, an adult gold ram (from Liz), and a couple of bristlenose plecos. How long can a tank really stay empty? Besides the ram being from Liz... the bristlenose had been with the discus for at least a year before I moved him down into the new tank and the sterbai were all spawned and raised in my "system".

I should pick my least favorite discus and move it into this tank and wait for... some number of weeks? Months? The water is the same, so no concern there.

Am I over thinking this?

Default Re: Tell me how to move my discus... please

I have had no issues moving fish around my eco system since all have been with me for a while or born into it. New stock always QT and hero. That's my opinion and I had no issues but others might differ. I even mixed my Stendker after a while since he has been with me over 2 years and now he is the proud papa of 100 plus fry with a nice Malaysian lady. Still I guess a hero can't hurt. I only have 5 tanks running but this is my experience. I would get a more knowledgeable member to chime in.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Jacob,
    By now I think you can jus move them. These fish have had more than enough time and opportunity to encounter any problems.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

I am not really concerned much that there could be an issue outside of Liz's ram, I guess. Obviously, nothing against Liz here, just to be clear. But he's the odd man out. Though he has been in my system for a couple or few months.

All I can tell you is that I haven't introduced any new fish into my fish room for years. All the fish I own have been bred by me for years, and I've never had any report of a CC problem from folks who have received fish from me.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 04-09-2024 at 07:16 PM.
    Mama Bear