AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My first Nano tank.

Real Name
    Tom

Default My first Nano tank.

Well I moved the discus babies out of the 40 and into a 50 a little while ago. So this 40 is just sitting around.E77FAF10-AC2A-4A18-9CF2-1BD53813582F.jpg. I had added this nice rock like background because the back is painted black. Black just takes away too much from a tank. I’ve been keeping hillstream loaches for a long time in a 36g bowfront. It’s more high than long and from my reading hillstreams do like rocks and caves more than wood and plants. So the 40 does look like the better place.
    Now I’m near the bay and ocean rocks are very easy to find. So I pick up a bunch and start the tank.058EC4E7-0275-4BED-A3A8-D16786AA1C3B.jpg. The piece of wood I got for free from another hobbiest . I’ve got 4 hillstreams now but I don’t want to move them first. So I add about 200 red cherry shrimp from a long established 15g and all the plants.F99B6588-3A81-48BD-81D0-929653D386DA.jpg. So with the shrimp in I’ve got to get shrimp safe fish. So nano fish seem like what I’m looking for. Plus I see brass tetras and buy 9. All the guy had.0CE83833-0608-47EB-8CC0-631E3634AF90.jpgB7829ADE-B083-4D0D-A2B9-FAE23F235157.jpg. These guys look like tiny tuna. Bought these guys in February and have yet to see them again. Been to about 6 different shops. Seems nano fish aren’t to popular.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: My first Nano tank.

My next nano is the macklata rasbora/dwarf Rasbora. Again seen it once and bought 12. Attachment 139395. Swimming with the brass tetras. Added some more rocksAttachment 139396. Now I added the hillstreams. Also bought 2 new ones. Giving me 6.Attachment 139397. All are doing well. Lots of movement with the 2 groups of nanos. I also added 4 cpd and a green tetra that wa sold as a cpd. But all 5 looked very thin and disappeared within a week. Never to be seen again. My next fish came as another 2 different types. Kubotai rasboras/green rasboras. These were very expensive. $7 a fish the size of a shrimp (but hey shrimp cost $7 now too). Nice very fast swimming fish with a green tint.Attachment 139398 Attachment 139399the other fish is a ruby tetra. Attachment 139400. These guys are very hard to get pictures of. This pic is when I first got them. I’m still looking for some healthy cpd. But not sure if my temp will work. Tank runs from 78-80. Think that may be too warm. Look for any other ideas. Tank is a ton of fun. Here’s a short video. But watch carefully you’ll see just how active the hillstreams are in the background.

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Default Re: My first Nano tank.

Very nice Tom, I like the tank. I am a fan for nano fish in a tank. I have a brand new 60 gallon breeder that I want to make into a planted nano tank. Not sure when that is going to happen but I have everything I need except plants and the fish. LOL