ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Stendker Goodheart

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Stendker Goodheart

Hi, soon I am looking to purchase 8 stendker discus for my 90gal fish tank, and am wondering about the feeding. Many people have said that beef heart ruins discus livers, but I have heard a lot of discus dealers (the one I want to buy from included) say that Stenker Goodheart is very good. It isn’t just beefheart and contains other things, but just because it contains some beefheart does this make it bad for discus? Or is it a good alternative. They claim that yes beefheart is very bad for discus but in Goodheart it is safe and healthy. Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Stendker Goodheart

Quote Originally Posted by Cjbear087 View Post
    Hi, soon I am looking to purchase 8 stendker discus for my 90gal fish tank, and am wondering about the feeding. Many people have said that beef heart ruins discus livers, but I have heard a lot of discus dealers (the one I want to buy from included) say that Stenker Goodheart is very good. It isn’t just beefheart and contains other things, but just because it contains some beefheart does this make it bad for discus? Or is it a good alternative. They claim that yes beefheart is very bad for discus but in Goodheart it is safe and healthy. Thanks
    This is complete nonsense. Beefheart is a perfect good food for discus. It's simply very lean protein. Some beefheart products come with additives, such as shrimp, fish, spinach, vitamins, etc, although there is absolutely no evidence that these do anything. Beefheart is not lacking in any of the nutrients contained in these ingredients. I know an old time breeder in Ohio that raised 5 generations of discus solely on beefheart.

Having said that, there is no magic food. I've seen very nice adult discus raised solely on flake food. Another local hobbyists raised beautiful discus solely on VibraBites. Changing large quantities of water frequently will do much more to get you quality discus than any specific food.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I totally agree with Willie.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Mine seemed to grow up just fine on largely straight beef heart with nothing added (I went off Willie's recommendation). I also fed them Al's black worms and occasional flake/pellets, but they've never liked anything as much as Al's worms. Beef heart is messy, but as long as you're doing daily water changes, you'll be fine.

I made my own beef heart by trimming out all the fat and connective tissue and grinding it in my meat grinder. My fish eventually kind of quit eating it, but I suspect that was mainly due to how long it had been in the freezer. I still have some left. I should cube it up and start feeding a bit to the dogs everyday.

lol. My old dog Big Head gets his pill in my beef heart recipe every day.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Is he the one that eats fish too? Or maybe they all do.

No that was my sweet old Rat Terrier, Tink. She has been gone for several years. I rescued her from a vacant lot where she had been fending for herself. She was one hell of a hunter. Once, way before my back went bad, I culled a bunch of adult Angles and buried each one a shovel's depth in the garden. It took 3 days before an odor must have come from them. Either the other dogs didn't smell it or it didn't smell appetizing to them. I smelled nothing. But Tink dug each one up over the following 3 days and ate them. No sickness, no bones getting stuck in her throat, nothing. That little dog knew how to survive. Although she had all the dog food she wanted, and took advantage of it, she preferred doing for herself. I had a lot of respect for that little dog.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    This is complete nonsense. Beefheart is a perfect good food for discus. It's simply very lean protein. Some beefheart products come with additives, such as shrimp, fish, spinach, vitamins, etc, although there is absolutely no evidence that these do anything. Beefheart is not lacking in any of the nutrients contained in these ingredients. I know an old time breeder in Ohio that raised 5 generations of discus solely on beefheart.

Having said that, there is no magic food. I've seen very nice adult discus raised solely on flake food. Another local hobbyists raised beautiful discus solely on VibraBites. Changing large quantities of water frequently will do much more to get you quality discus than any specific food.
    Was that Bill Deem? I used to talk to him long distance frequently.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    Was that Bill Deem? I used to talk to him long distance frequently.
    At my age, everything is irritating.