AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Extremely hard water!!

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Extremely hard water!!

So just tested my tap water, and its even higher than I thought lol. It came out as 23dGH! I plan on getting my discus from Devotedly Discus (UK Based) and they say that they raise the discus in conditions of 15dGH. I don't want to breed the discus and I know they wouldnt be able to in these conditions anyway. But would this stunt their growth or anything? I would drip acclimate aswell. I have been told it will be fine as they are stendker discus but this is still very high. Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Extremely hard water!!

I don't think you can accurately convert GH to TDS, which is what UI use, because there are too many variables. I can tell you my water is around 400 TDS, which is pretty hard, and my discus do fine. I worry more about ph than TDS or GH or KH.

I think you will be fine with your water...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I don't think you can accurately convert GH to TDS, which is what UI use, because there are too many variables. I can tell you my water is around 400 TDS, which is pretty hard, and my discus do fine. I worry more about ph than TDS or GH or KH.

I think you will be fine with your water...
    Brian I don't know the hows or whys but there is a conversion factor to go from tds in ppm to dGH..its 17.6 ppm is 1 dGH

Good read here..

https://www.fdacs.gov/Consumer-Resou...y-and-Hardness
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Charlie

Ah so following that conversion means that jeeps GH is almost exactly the same as mine. Thats good I think then, if its proven effective for him.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Cjbear087 View Post
    Ah so following that conversion means that jeeps GH is almost exactly the same as mine. Thats good I think then, if its proven effective for him.
    I've been trying to tell you your water will be fine as long as you keep it very clean! . That's the part that matters most, and Brian changes plenty of water!
    Seriously, though, I am really happy you've made your way over here to Simply. You'll have good luck getting real discus centered answers here!

Real Name
    Jacob

You can convert degrees to PPM, but I have not had luck making TDS equate to the degrees and their PPM. It doesn't add up. But there's tons of dissolved solids that can be in water. It's a tricky number to use because I could make straight RO have 400 TDS if I put enough Prime into it. It is a super quick measurement to take, though. And as long as your water doesn't do something squirrelly, it should be a pretty good quick check.

Real Name
    Charlie

Yep! I plan on doing 50% daily when juvenile and probs 3x 50% weekly when adult. Just wanted to thank you for all of your answers on this forum and CARE.