AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Water changes

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Water changes

So basically I plan on getting juvenile discus soon, and will of course be doing 50% daily wcs so their growth isn’t stunted until they are 4 inches. When they are adults, I will stick to 3x 50% changes a week. In roughly 3 years, I will be going to university (a long time I know, but good to think ahead) and most likely will be far away from home. I will defo come home once a week MINIMUM. So my question is when discus are fully grown, as they would be at that time, could a get away with doing 1 100% (more or less) water change once a week? This would be the absolute minimum. I have been told by a few people it’s fine if they are fully grown but wanted to ask the experts. Thanks

Default Re: Water changes

Charlie, your plan sounds great and I think its really awesome you gave it so much thought. I think your fish will be fine and honestly alot can happen in 3 years. By then you may want to look into autowater change systems or train a helper. 100% with unaged water might be a bit too much stress though. Still Theres always ways and keeping discus does not have hard fast rules. Adults are more forgiving which will help.

Any idea on what you will study?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Charlie

Yeah I think I would still be able to call up my parents the night before and get them to fill up a brute canister and they can chuck and air stone and heater in it so it can be aged. I think I’m going to study law, thanks for asking!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

You won't be home once per week minimum .... LOL Take it from a dad of 2 kids in college. Best of luck to you!! What size tank will this be? That also makes a difference in how spread out your water changes can be.

Real Name
    Charlie

The tank is 90 gallons.