ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Light for Red Discus

Registered Member

Default Light for Red Discus

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my light for my 75 gal tank of mostly red/blue based discus, I currently have a mix of Pantheras and Sakura leopard adults. I've noticed in most discus stores that pink lights tend to be the brightest and help accentuate their red color. I currently have a NICREW light that does not let me customize a brighter pink color. Any options people have used to make it work? I saw recommendations for Current Satellite Pro lights but those are a tad pricey, hoping to hear from you all before I drop money on that or other more premium lights. Thanks!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Light for Red Discus

My Aqueon Colormax fluorescents are great but the bulbs burn out only after a few months. I'm switching over to Hygger LED's. They have 7 different colors and I think you can adjust each color but I haven't tried getting creative with them. Overall, I like them but I have a pretty good local supplier so I get them dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Sunris...13&sr=8-5&th=1

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Consider the planted tank RGB or WRGB lights like those from Chihiros or Week Aqua. They have adjustable red, blue and green channels for you to adjust what levels of each channel you want. Not sure about the Week Aqua, but the Chihiros app comes with some presets that they have curated for different types of tanks (e.g. red emphasis, green emphasis, shrimp tanks, bucephalandra tanks, etc). I've used Chihiros RGB Slim, Vivid Mini and Vivid 2 on various tanks in my home and office and love the colour rendition they give to my fish and plants. I converted all my tanks to Chihiros lights after testing them out because I like them alot and the convenience of controlling 8 sets of lights with 1 single app.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    My Aqueon Colormax fluorescents are great but the bulbs burn out only after a few months. I'm switching over to Hygger LED's. They have 7 different colors and I think you can adjust each color but I haven't tried getting creative with them. Overall, I like them but I have a pretty good local supplier so I get them dirt cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Sunris...13&sr=8-5&th=1
    I have 3 tanks with these lights and they do bring out the colors nicely.

Registered Member

I'm using a Fluval Aquasky which does the job ok. If I could do it again I would've gotten the Fluval planted 3.0 or the Hygger. The Aquasky doesn't have as many LEDs so it can't adjust the colors perfectly. My Finnex Planted was better. But I like the convenience of having the Fluval app to do everything vs having a separate remote.
    Eric

Registered Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm thinking of trying this specific version of Hygger as it has a full pink option, will let yall know how it goes (also easier to return to Amazon if it does not turn out as nice as I'd like)

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Advanc...3&sr=8-18&th=1

Quote Originally Posted by Alvinc1114 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm thinking of trying this specific version of Hygger as it has a full pink option, will let yall know how it goes (also easier to return to Amazon if it does not turn out as nice as I'd like)

https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Advanc...3&sr=8-18&th=1
    These are one I use on my 125 and 90 gallon amd they are great lights and bring out the reds very nicely. I have the 58w 48" on the 125 that is 72" and it works just fine and the 90 has the same..
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th