ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New beginnings

Registered Member

Default New beginnings

Hey all,

I have not posted any updates since the cross contamination in December
    I ended up tearing everything and sterilizing the entire tank, sump, etc

The new setup was done around end of Jan. I introduced discus (two survivors from the disaster) mid February after cycling with just plants and few cories. I acquired some new fish (same source) February and finished quarantine 2 weeks ago.

Because it is a 36” deep tank, I tried to make it as easy as possible to maintain. I purchased a 30” long python attachment with a 10ft long hose to help me reach all the way down without getting too wet.

After a LOT of reading about large tanks maintenance, I decided on sand substrate <1” and placed 2 powerheads to create currents across the tank in such a way it created a vortex inside the branches area. This helped me have all debris accumulate at the bottom left corner. After few trial and error adjustments of the powerheads, there is not much accumulation of debris anywhere else. The tip of the branches touches the sand are not a problem and there is minimal current dead spots. It makes it easy to vacuum and aesthetically appealing to see white sand in the open space and not black poop scatter there.

My first time posting a video, I hope it works

https://youtu.be/UMRBecY83eA

Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-14-2024 at 10:46 AM.

Default Re: New beginnings

Tank looks great! I love that Branch and plants on it, and the open look to everything! Well Done! and a great "New Beginning"

al

ps...I embedded the vid... Info on how here..

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...-vids-embedded
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks Al! I was not sure how to include the video in the posting.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

I feel your pain about the tall tank and maintenance - mine is 48" tall and basically impossible to keep the substrate clean. What has worked for me is to keep fish that constantly disturb the substrate to keep all the debris stirred up and in the water column in the hope that the filter will eventually catch it. Corydoras catfish are OK, substrate sifting cichlids like eartheaters are good, and substrate sweepers like featherfin cichlids (when I kept Tanganyikan cichlids) and medium to large plecos (tip: program your autofeeder to feed at 2am when the lights are off and the other fish are asleep - the plecos will come out to feed and kick up a debris frenzy) are great. In my current tank, I'm planning on scattering a layer of botanicals over the sand to hopefully cultivate microorganisms that will help decompose organic debris faster. It also has the benefit of making the tank look more natural and hiding the unsightly debris amongst its natural look.

Registered Member

@illumnae,

Agree with the cories, I am planning to get another 24 more and maybe some rams. They help stirring the sand but most of the work is done by the powerheads. I also have 5 small plecos, but to my surprise they just like to be in plants at the top of the wood pieces. They don’t come out even at night.
    About stirring the dirt to the water column, it does not work for me. It tends to accumulate in the ferns and anubias and never goes high enough to go thru the overflow.

You might want to check out something like this, I found it to be very helpful to reach out to the substrate without getting your arm and armpit wet. I use it to clean the sand, but most of all to suck the debris that concentrates in the bottom left of the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Registered Member
    Real Name
    YX

Thank you for the recommendation!

Real Name
    Jake

Agree with Al here, the tank looks great and glad to see you get back on your feet without being too discouraged. The fish are looking great as well!

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Congrats on the new beginning, everything looks great!!!

Registered Member

Thank you all!

Honestly it was very disheartening to see some many dead discus at once. I lost all of my Kenny blue scorpions and blue sapphires. It took me awhile to think just beyond to start again.
    I had to turn things around to be positive for me at the end, I researched and learned much more after my December’s disaster than I had in 30+ years of discus keeping, not just aquarium chemistry but also design and maintenance of semi-planted tanks.

Having said that, it is a very young tank. It has been up and running about a month now (with discus I mean). I will take it step by step and see where it takes me this time. At the moment I am dealing with TON of aggression going around and around, CHICLID behavior at its best. I am planning to add a couple of more fish in the next few of weeks, if I find the right ones.
    Last edited by For100; 04-15-2024 at 12:45 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Looking good !! I have a similar aquascape as yours. I did start out with a super thin sand layer but decided to go bare bottom in a short time. Its just plain easier to see the poop and gunk and suck it out. Tank looks good !!

Registered Member

Hi all,

Couple of weeks since I posted, the tank continues to mature nicely. No complain and lucky things have continue to improve, fish are doing great. They feast on everything I give them, just one picky eater in the group.

Few things that have come up along the way that were a bit of a surprise:

1.- Aggression: There are 8 fish, but it is NON stop. Pecking order is taking awhile, surprise to me that size DOES NOT matter. One AMG is bullying everyone.

2- Detritus: you have not idea how much accumulates on the Anubias’ leaves and in between fern leaves at the top of the tank. It takes me more time to siphon the plants than the entire sand bottom. Not just that, I have to do it twice a week for the tank to look good.

3.- Evaporation: I used to use the tank lids before, I removed them to minimize light reflection for the plants to capture an ideal spectrum. (Beside it looks better like this). So, evaporation is massive. I have incorporated a small 5G bucket with an ATO to maintain water levels at the sump for about 1wk.

http://youtu.be/rYKntHWjKa0

PS: I removed the s from HTTPS but I did not work. what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by For100; 04-26-2024 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Trying to embed the video in the post

Use the default at you tube and copy link

Screenshot_20240426-141243_YouTube.jpg
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images