AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some pictures from my neighborhood.

Default Re: Some pictures from my neighborhood.

Tom thats an awesome deal and real nice set of images. The first shot is killer. Looking forward to many great shots!
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Got the Tamron today. Didn’t see much out there today. Also didn’t stay to long at either spot. But here’s 2 pics I didn’t even know I got.DSC_2218.jpg. Wasn’t sure if this was the eagle or an osprey. Guys there all said osprey. DSC_2258.jpg knew this was the owl but had no idea it was looking at me. Got to say this lens is impressive. Doesn’t focus as fast as the Nikon. But wow like I said I didn’t even know I got those pics. And this was my best shot todayDSC_2245.jpg. I got this osprey from the air into the water and flying away with the trout.

I love that you were able to snag the last pic.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

First photo is an eagle great images Tom
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Sorry Pat what I meant was taking the picture I had no clue what is was. But once I downloaded it I saw it was the eagle .

Real Name
    Tom

Al I set the F-stop to f8. Was real confused cause nothing was happening. Then I put a lens in! Can’t change the f stop without a lens in . Next the shutter speed. How does that work?

Lol.. yes its alot to learn Tom.

If you have the Camera in A mode.. the shutter speed is set for you based on the F stop you put in and the amount of light comes in to the camera. I almost always shoot in "A" mode. THE 2 VARIABLES I use for wildlife is setting the F stop and Iso.

The iso setting controls sensitivity to light.. so basically if you set the iso to 100 like you had you will need alot bright light coming into the picture at F 8 .. At iso 800.. far less light is needed to properly expose an image. This means images are also captured faster and that reduces blurring from motion. Theres a trade off though... the higher the Iso the more grainy the photo.. Cameras have come a long way with reducing this grainy look at higher ISOs and photo editting helps too.

Initially I would put the camera in "A"

Read here on Aperture priority..

http://www.thedigitalprocess.com/ape...epth-of-field/

At the same time set the iso to 800 and take some pics in sunny weather.. next take the same pics at iso 1600 and 6400.

For birds in flight or movement you may need higher ISO so it stops the action.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks again! Been playing with it as you said and messing with the iso. But I’ve got to do the 800,1600,6400 thing. Just keep forgetting. It is fun and most of the photographers are really nice people. I had to take a thousands pics in the last few days . This too is addictive!! Got these 2 shots today. There’s a duckling in the water. This is a luck shot cause nobody had a clue what the eagle was going for and I’m just ahead of the eagle.DSC_2937.jpgDSC_2932.jpg it’s funny cause you can see the bubbles where the duckling dived in front of the eagle. But the eagle isn’t completely in focus.

Real Name
    Tom

That lens was the Nikon 80-400. But that lens has a lot to do on it when trying to switch from auto focus to manual. I still have to figure this lens out. Before I got the Tamron and went to the A setting I got some nice photos fully automatic with the Nikon. These you could blow up great. Here’s another photo that’s nice but still a little out of focus.DSC_2777.jpg. Got some better shots with the Tamron.IMG_0776.jpgDSC_2704.jpgDSC_2882.jpgIMG_0784.jpg.

Tom,
    AF features on camera give you the ability to set the kind of autofocus you want. For instance one mode is "spot" . Spot basically focuses at one point. Its useful when you have alot going on in a picture but you are trying to get that one bird in focus. Theres variations where the focus area is muliple points .. usually grouped in the center... then theres just the mode that kind of tries to get everything you see in the view finder in focus... that mode is whats used when you let the camera do all the work in green mode/ beginners mode. Its usually not useful for wildlife photos but great for family photos.

The other variable you want play with is exposure. You can set your camera so that it meters off a spot ..usually the center of the image or a center weighted area or the over all light of the image. Its alot but by manipulating these variables you can really nail some images..especially ones strongly backlit.

I find using spot AF and spot exposure to be a great combo for alot of bird shots.

Also theres an exposure compensation feature. Lets say you take a pic and all your settings are good but theres just too much back light so the subject comes out too dark.. use the +/- exposure feature to increase exposure to compensate for that bright background... you can also use the "-" when the over all exposure is too much. You can always add exposure in post processing if the image you capture is a little under exposed.. but over exposed images usually lose details that cant be recovered.

Next you need to decide how you will process the images post capture. Some people use Paid software like Adobe... others like me use open source free software. I use Darktable,rawtherapee, and gimp....mostly Darktable. Post processing can make a good image into a great image. It can save an otherwise bad image. There are many many software options and you tube tutorials.

And you are right... Its addictive.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; Today at 07:07 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tom, you are getting some nice captures.

Al, you might what to explain the switch on the lens which controls the focusing distance on the lens. I know the 80-400 has that switch.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Tom, you are getting some nice captures.

Al, you might what to explain the switch onthe lens which controls the focusing distance on the lens. I know the 80-400 has that switch.

Pat
    Pat I am just giving general pointers here. I dont have the 80-400. Feel free to add info anytime.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

We have here in MD about 15 min from my home one of the best sanctuaries in the US for Bald Eagles. Hundreds of wildlife photographers show up each year after November to catch the migrate of the birds. It's amazing how many they are. It's a Conowingo Dam is on the Susquehanna river, the dam is a few miles up river (west) when you cross over the river on interstate 95.

Article here
    Last edited by Charlyc11; Today at 07:23 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    We have here in MD about 15 min from my home one of the best sanctuaries in the US for Bald Eagles. Hundreds of wildlife photographers show up each year after November to catch the migrate of the birds. It's amazing how many they are. It's a Conowingo Dam is on the Susquehanna river, the dam is a few miles up river (west) when you cross over the river on interstate 95.

Article here
    Sounds like Chuck needs Camera gear.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Lol Al no not yet he’s still buying tanks!! He needs to retire .
    Chuck I just got a text from a photographer sending me that info.
    Liz yes the 80-400 lens has 3 buttons and an indexing thing up close to the camera. I’ve set them to what people on Facebook have advised. Like I said earlier camera people are great people. First day with the Tamron I’m talking to a guy with a Nikon prime 600 (ever getting some of the lingo now). I was saying some pics just don’t focus as good as others. I’m taking a picture and he walks up and switches a switch and says it’s works best on infinity. He was right . Great people.
    Yes folks I can only do this in small steps. Reading comprehension was never my gig. I took the quiz on the site you sent me and got all 4 wrong. Way to many buttons on these Cameras. My older son has jumped right in to this. He’ll figure out what’s what quickly and fill me in. He goes to me hey dad what’s this button? I answered Robert I’ve got 25 buttons on this thing and another 5 on the lens .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12