ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: breeding issue

Registered Member

Default breeding issue

Hi its my first post here, but I am reading forum from a while... :-)
    Currently one of my breeding pairs ( turquoise) stop spawning. They were lying eggs from October/November regularly with 4-6 weeks break for a batches. My last batch almost all dies of day by day (fry was swimming up then lie on bottom heavy breeding) I was assuming flukes so I used clove leaf dewormer following instruction. Now they are not to kin to spawn again, they id but very less eggs maybe 20-25. and here rising my questions …. Are they possibly need break ? is it a good practice to put them to separate tanks ? or swap a females?

they are in separate tank, bare bottom, RO water with minerals to reach desire parameters. 24h tmc uv light 200 connected to it. water at 28.5-29c 55tds at the moment. Previously I had them on 120-150 tds but fungus get on part of eggs, fry later (they didn't transferred baby's like they always do) so i decided to lower tds but i had feeling my female lay legs eggs in such a soft water is it possible or just coincident ? is a weather possibly put them off from spawning? Or could be a parasites or worms? they eat like always beef heart mix and tetra prima granules occasionally bloodworms ( once - twice a month) .....

Any similar experience guys?

Default Re: breeding issue

I think they probably just need a rest.

Welcome to the real Forum. just reading it is great.. far better to post and become part of it.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Thanks, for how long would you separate them for ? Is it better with divider or just different tanks? I was thinking about other female to I know some breeders do that but I don’t have experience with it. I wouldn’t like to brake they bond lol

Can you put all 3 in a tank together? That way, or he can decide for himself whether he wants to stick with his old lady or have a fling with the other female.

You aren't the one who chooses how long they will be on break. They decide. You'll know if one female beats another into a corner or you see breeding behavior.
    Mama Bear