ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: What Discus strain do you want to keep?

Default What Discus strain do you want to keep?

Everyone has dreams, right?

What Discus strain or Color form do you want to keep?

I have probably kept most strains and colorforms, both wild and domestics as either a seller or hobbyist since getting into this hobby.Going through my photos, its really staggering how many choices there are in this hobby. Do you have a strain or variety of discus you have not kept that you want? or maybe one you had, but want again?

I would say have 3 on my list right now... ones that I had and want again.

The first is the lowly Red Turq. I love the pattern and colors of these. Sadly they are not in much demand any more, spotted, solid reds, and albinos have supplanted them. Many sellers barely bring them in, and when they do they are over priced. They used to be so common and yet now when you do see them available they are really not that great. I would like a tank of beautiful Red Turqs. I am actively seeking these with intent to breed. These images are from back in 2015..Fish were from Kenny/Forrest.

IMGP8329.jpg

IMGP8331.jpg

The second is what can best be described as plain Jane wild Brown Discus. When I got into the hobby, these were what pet shops carried as wild discus. They also have fallen out of favor. Compared to the red based wilds,striated and spotted wild greens, These browns are just not in demand. When I was selling Discus, i had the opportunity to bring in a group of Brown discus. I don't put much faith into wild Discus names. These were called "Oeiras Brown Discus"

browns.jpg

I have never seen them sold as these, and best I can tell they probably are the same as Cameta Browns. what a beautiful Discus. I really wanted to keep them and breed them, I wish I did.

The 3rd group are fish I bred from Domestic Alenquers.. I had gotten a group of Domestic Alenquers from Kenny and Forrest. They were hetero for albino and all carried the albino gene...I bred them and got some really nice fish. I donated a bunch of fry to the forums first Grow out Challenge in 2007/2008. Our current admin , Brian (jeep) , was one of the participants.

https://forum.simplydiscus.com/showt...2-Final-update

Anyhow, the group I kept were just beautiful fish. I have not seen domestic Alenquers sold like these again. Its another fish that is not in demand as its not red or spotted.

my group..

Alenquer_breeder stock.jpg

so thats me... what about you?
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: What Discus strain do you want to keep?

I currently have a group of wilds which I really like Al, the RSGs and I hope they will breed for me next year. Another group I would love to have again is wild blues but red based. Like the ones I sent to you Al in 2016 or so. Those were from Mark Chen (DiscusOrigins) who imported from WBSabby. John K currently has some WC Uatuma Red Discus which look pretty good but maybe next year. There is a domestic I wouldn't mind having and that is a group of red based straight line red turquoise ( an old classic)
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jake

I've easily got my list without too much thinking.

1. Piwowarski Turquiose - Like Al and Pat, I love plain 'ol turqs. Piwo Turqs seem like top tier and I'd love to own/breed them some day.
    2. Chicago Discus Super Panthera - If I had to choose one pattern, it would be the Super Panthera. I'd give a kidney for any of the similar variety from Miranda, such as the Panthera Snakeskin, Meteor Eruption, and Red Ruby Spider. Love the patterns.
    3. Wild RSGs - I've practically memorized all of Pat's posts regarding RSGs because I just love the look and spotting.

Real Name
    Brian

One of my 2018 contest fish grew out to be what I would consider a mosaic turq. I would like to have more of those, but as picky as I am, it may be hard to come by. Other than that, the Super Pantheras are my discus of choice these days. However, not all SP's are the same and Miranda and Robert spoiled me with the ones I have. I've seen nothing else that compares and I wish I could get them spawning. I'd also like to have some Cuipeua type wilds at some point...

This guy was a beauty. Unfortunately killed by the female SS after spawning
    challenge 133.jpg

Super Pantheras 3.jpg

Real Name
    Aaron

For some time I've been looking to replace my F1 Tefe Greens that I raised from weeks old to (most of them) over a decade old. The eldest survivor was just shy of bar mitzvah-age when he passed. I doubt I'll find F1s again so I've begun searching for young wilds. Spotted or not, as long as they are S. tarzoo.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

I have always liked the browns. I have not seen one one decades. Like Al says we used to see them in pet stores.

Registered Member

Al;One of my favorites was the green discus that I first bought from you about 15 or more years ago.
    This was was getting back to discus and I found Simply discus and you were advertising them because you had so many.
    Long time ago.
    I also am a fan of rt and bt.
    Jay

Real Name
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    One of my 2018 contest fish grew out to be what I would consider a mosaic turq. I would like to have more of those, but as picky as I am, it may be hard to come by. Other than that, the Super Pantheras are my discus of choice these days. However, not all SP's are the same and Miranda and Robert spoiled me with the ones I have. I've seen nothing else that compares and I wish I could get them spawning. I'd also like to have some Cuipeua type wilds at some point...

This guy was a beauty. Unfortunately killed by the female SS after spawning
    challenge 133.jpg

Super Pantheras 3.jpg
    Those SPs are jaw dropping, absolutely worth donating a kidney over.

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Al;One of my favorites was the green discus that I first bought from you about 15 or more years ago.
    This was was getting back to discus and I found Simply discus and you were advertising them because you had so many.
    Long time ago.
    I also am a fan of rt and bt.
    Jay
    Jay that was a long time ago! Those greens were one of my most favorite fish I ever bred. They set the course for me for much of what I breed now.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 04-18-2024 at 09:21 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Those SPs are jaw dropping, absolutely worth donating a kidney over.
    Agreed! Since LSS don't breed true I would guess that out of a spawn of 100, there would be some excellent fry produced but maybe only 1 or 2 percent may look like the parents.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Since the SP don't breed true, is it possible SP fry that don't produce SPs have the genes to make SPs? Also, has anyone heard of a "jumbo" gene? Lastly, I've seen discus now called King Vipers. Anyone know what those are. I've seen them on the Georgia Discus website but it doesn't talk which strains produced them.

I could really get myself in trouble on this one...

.... I will instead just say that breeders are able to quickly move up the product development phase prior to releasing a new strain by all the sharing of source material that a global economy affords.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com