AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Assassin snails in a warm discus tank?

Registered Member

Default Assassin snails in a warm discus tank?

I have a lot of small snails (trumpet type) in my Discus tank. I do overfeed the discus a bit but they are growing youngsters and we all know that teenagers eat like horses!
    I had the same problem in my Angel Fish tank but introducing a few Assassin snails has sorted that problem out. The Assassins are breeding; there are now a few very small Assassins. I guess the small ones are best at killing the trumpet snails just because they are closer in size to the trumpets.
    I have read that Assassin snails are OK in a discus tank, but mine is quite warm; 29.2 Celsius. The internet gives a range of suitable temperatures for Assassin snails, mostly with a max around 27 Celsius. Outliers are 24 Celsius at the low end and 32 Celsius at the high end, as maximum compatible temperatures.
    Does anyone here keep Assassins at 29 Celsius?
    Secondly, if the Assassins will cope with 29 Celsius, I have a choice: I can simply transfer some from my Angel Fish tank which is at 27 Celsius but I am wary of possibly transferring Angel Fish diseases to my Discus tank. If the disease issue is actually not a problem then this has the advantage that it would cost me nothing and the Assassins are already acclimatised to a fairly high temperature. Alternatively, I could buy some Assassins from an Aquarium shop. In the shop, the Assassins are not kept in the same tank as Angel Fish so presumably the disease potential issue is even lower. However, they are kept at 25 Celsius and the shift to 29 Celsius might be a bit much.
    Has any one got any advice/experience relating to this?

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Assassin snails in a warm discus tank?

I have mine at 82 degrees and the assassins seem fine. They eat snails, at least. I kept mine discus at 85 for quite awhile and they were fine like that too. I wish mine would breed. I've never had a single baby assassin snail, unfortunately.

Registered Member

They do fine at discus temp. I had them for a while. Very effective in eradicating any snail.

@Jacob, interesting yours have not bred. They are not very prolific but I find new baby ones from time to time.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by For100 View Post
    They do fine at discus temp. I had them for a while. Very effective in eradicating any snail.

@Jacob, interesting yours have not bred. They are not very prolific but I find new baby ones from time to time.
    I've had them in a variety of tanks for two years and never had any. Will they breed in a bare bottom? That's mostly where I've had them.

I need to get some so I can stop squishing the pest snails.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I need to get some so I can stop squishing the pest snails.
    I have some and am still squishing I will say they do keep numbers in check.

Registered Member

Wow, I guess I was lucky. I had a bad infestation in the early 2019, bought 6 assassin snails. The rest is history, I have not seen a pond snail since then.

When I buy new plants, I usually add one or two assassins to the quarantine tank to take care of any hitchhiker…. ��

Registered Member

Thank you for all the replies. It seems that Assassin snails are happy enough at warmer temperatures than what is mostly quoted as a maximum (27 C).
    I think I'll buy half a dozen from an aquarium, to avoid any direct contact with Angel Fish water.
    Thanks again guys.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I've had them in a variety of tanks for two years and never had any. Will they breed in a bare bottom? That's mostly where I've had them.
    Just a note on the issue of breeding. I'm not sure if it's essential for breeding Assassins but my tanks have a fairly deep layer of soft sand which they love to burrow in. Sometimes all you see is a bit of shell and the snorkel poking out from the sand. I also read that they prefer warmer water (what temp was not specified) for breeding. My tanks are also well planted, maybe that helps too.

Real Name
    Jacob

I've had them in planted tanks with fairly deep substrate. I don't think I've ever had more than a few unless it was a barebottom. So maybe I just didn't have a male/female pair.