ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: pH and GH

Real Name
    Charlie

Default pH and GH

So am I right by saying it seems the general consensus for discus (tank bred) water conditions (pH, GH, KH) is that as long as you keep them in very clean water and acclimate them properly, they should be able to adjust well.

Default Re: pH and GH

Quote Originally Posted by Cjbear087 View Post
    So am I right by saying it seems the general consensus for discus (tank bred) water conditions (pH, GH, KH) is that as long as you keep them in very clean water and acclimate them properly, they should be able to adjust well.
    Charlie, There are limits to everything , as you push the pH upwards they are less and less a forgiving fish as far water quality. They evolved as a soft water acidic pH fish.. the sweet spot is in the 5-7 range. Can they survive higher? Yes most of the time they can, though honestly no one ever studied the way pH affects Longevity in Discus. If a hobbyist must keep Discus in the 8 range, then water quality, health and diet are key to keeping them happy and healthy.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Charlie

Default Re: pH and GH

Yep thought so. I tested my tap pH after 24 hours of aging and got 8.25 and then after another 24 hours got 8.5. So I guess that’s what they’ll be kept in, just gotta keep up with water changes.