AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Charleston Airshow (Beware Lots of photos)

Real Name
    Matt

Default Charleston Airshow (Beware Lots of photos)

My goal this year was to hit a few more photography spots or events through the year, at least 1 airshow was on my list and this was only 2hrs away and free so I had to go. This is my first time ever attempting flying jets, airshows, or really any true moving subject. Learned a lot and now I really want to do more. Was BRUTALLY hot but it was a great show, truly a great weekend event for kids and adults if you have one nearby. The Thunderbirds were the main event. So please see below a selection of photos out of the 4284 I shot at the show.

Thunderbirds by Matt, on Flickr

P-51
    P-51 by Matt, on Flickr
    P-51 by Matt, on Flickr
    P-51 by Matt, on Flickr
    P-51 by Matt, on Flickr

F-35
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-35 by Matt, on Flickr

T-6 Texan
    T-6 Texan by Matt, on Flickr

C-47 A real treat for me, i absolutely love WWII history and have been obsessed with the Band of Brothers book/tv series since it came out so to see one of these flying in person was incredible
    C-47 by Matt, on Flickr

A couple of static displays of the day
    Blackhawk by Matt, on Flickr
    Chinook by Matt, on Flickr
    C-17 by Matt, on Flickr
    B-29 by Matt, on Flickr
    B-29 by Matt, on Flickr
    P-51 Redtail by Matt, on Flickr
    F-22 by Matt, on Flickr
    F-22 by Matt, on Flickr
    Dreamlifter by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Default Re: Charleston Airshow (Beware Lots of photos)

Matt those are awesome shots.. that first pic is just crazy! I have not been to an airshow but if I get the chance I will. We have a really great Air museum here in CT, https://neam.org/
    I have gone there many times over the years. I really enjoy taking pics there.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Love them all Matt and I love the fact you got clouds as backgrounds in the flight photos plus glad you had a change to shoot the F-35. I have not been to an airshow in three years. The last one for me was the Cocoa Beach Airshow and it was over the ocean which was really different. I may have a thread on it here on the forum. If I find it I will link it here.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks!

Pat, really glad we had some clouds in the skies I think they make all the difference with plane shots. Very light whispy clouds in the morning then the bigger front started moving in (which is causing rain today thankfully I picked Sat and not Sun!) Gives you some reference that its flying and not just pasted onto a blue background. I noticed a lot of airshows in FL have cancelled, not sure what the reason for that is but seems to be a trend, there still are a few listed on the calendar for the year. Thought about going up to the Cherry Point airshow in NC but not sure I want to make the drive to be honest. I think I would like to pair an airshow day with another trip I plan later in the year (undecided destination).

The Canon R5 performed pretty well I'd say, I think me using a 1.4x teleconverter on my 100-400 did degrade a little quality which I kinda knew going in but I wanted some extra reach. I should of tried some without and cropped and looked at the results, next time maybe. I can't afford the big glass I really want so I have to improvise and take a few quality hits here and there. I did switch the R5 from Electronic shutter to Mechanical shutter, sacrificed a little bit of speed (20fps to 12fps) but I didn't want any of the possible warping the electronic shutter tends to give, and realistically I'm only 2fps short of what my 1dxii can give which I always found very sufficient. On the next one I think I would carry out some tests with the shutter and teleconverter.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

I love all of your pictures, I am a U.S. Air Force veteran and the Thunderbird F-16 scheme has always been my favorite. I fly RC airplanes and one of my planes is the F-16 Thunderbird scheme.

It took me until just now to look at this thread. I don't care about airplanes. All of a sudden I think airplanes rock.

I don't remember any names except for the F-35. It's my favorite. It looks deadly. I loved seeing the first ones fly. They are so beautiful. But when they fly too close together it gave me the chills.

I was impressed by the helicopter that looks like a big fat ugly limo. And the size of some of those huge airplanes blew me away.

These were fabulous shots. The truth is, the only reason I even looked is because I know what a good photographer you are. When you started talking about the camera stuff, you were speaking Greek. I'm going to go back now and look at them all again.
    Mama Bear