ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely bad News

Default Re: Extremely bad News

How come Canadian aquafarm is still selling them on Ebay? Maybe until they run out.. Those are from the same source correct?
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Thank you everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    How come Canadian aquafarm is still selling them on Ebay? Maybe until they run out.. Those are from the same source correct?
    Chuck my market and his have always been very different. I dont know what Rick has in stock still. .. but if what the farm sent us is accurate he will be in the same boat as me soon.

It took me 3 1/2 months to get the last order I brought in... I had another stock order I had been waiting months on and then the email came.

I really know no more than I have posted as to the hows and whys. The result to me is all that I can worry about at this point. I have a very rocky road ahead.

I hope the farm recovers quickly and that I am in a position to offer you all their worms again....but given what has occured to date Its probably going to be a very long time.

Contacting Australian Blackworms directly with your questions would probably be best.

The contact info is ..

https://blackworms.com.au/

Email
    sales@blackworms.com.au

Perhaps they will have enough stock to sell and ship direct to customers in time. If anyone does reach out to them please let them know you were my customer.

Thank you for all your patronage! Its a sad time for me but I am thankful for the opportunity to bring you these products.
    Al Sabetta
    AquaticSuppliers.com
    SimplyDiscus llc
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Tom

Sorry to hear Al! I really thought you were just messing with us again! I’ve still got some but will have to start rationing it lol. My guys do eat flakes,Sara bits and of course the discus chow. He things change or you get a new supplier.

Real Name
    Willie

So this may qualify as "closing the barn door after the horse left", but here's how I've managed my FDBW supply.

I purchased 1 kg from Brew a couple of years ago, back when he was still offering that quantity. It was not cheap, but it was also the best deal. As soon as I start feeding it, I realized that this stuff is like gold (quality and price). But I fed it sporadically, relying on beefheart as the main feed, supplementing with dry food. Discus can get finicky. Every so often, I will feed FDBW which would really stimulate their appetite.

I took the original quantity and broke it up into 6 - 7 portion. Each portion was put into a sealed bag under vacuum to prevent oxidation and the bags were stored in the freezer. Just yesterday, I opened up my last bag. One of the best uses is actually for my quarantine/medication tank. Discus in this tank usually don't eat very much. Sick fish often go off their feed first. Even the healthy ones will not feel great with the medication, etc. But they will always go for FDBW and getting their strength up is more than half the battle. I'm hoping to stretch this last bag out for a year.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Al, I am so sorry to hear this news. I will ration the ones I have left for my 6 discus. They are used to them everyday, now I will give them once or twice a week. At least they also like all the pellets and flakes I offer. Hope you will be OK and replace this with another good selling item!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Barb, thank you!
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

More info..
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    just sharing
    Australian Black Worms
    ·
    20 April 2024
    To our valued customers,
    Unfortunately the past 17 months have been very difficult for us at Australian Black Worms. Firstly we had ‘never experienced before’ flooding which moved our creek some distance from its previous location. This negated our gravity fed system and required some time and government approval to install a pump. As this was a very hot time of year, without the correct water flow our production was greatly affected.
    Following that, our freeze dry machine had several breakdowns and a new part had to be imported which took close to two months. Once again this affected our production of dried black worm products. We tried very hard to catch up after these issues, but the problems continued with a breakdown of one of our electricity lines, leaving the whole farm without power…..so no pumps, no freeze dry machine, or ability to process product. The broken power line has now been completely replaced.
    And last, but not least we have installed yet another pump at the creek to provide better water flow. The result of all these issues is of course a huge drop in our production.
    Reluctantly I have to advise you that we will not be able to supply any product until further notice. Sadly, we have no choice but to close supply as we currently do not have enough black worm to process a load in the freeze dry machine.
    The constant harvesting to try and fill orders has taken a toll and we must now try and replenish our growing stock so that we can offer supply again as soon as possible. We will be working hard to make this the shortest time, but we are unable to offer any estimate.
    Fortunately we have passed the hot weather and the climate is now a better growing situation for the black worms.
    I am aware of the significant effect this will have on your business, but ask for your patience and understanding while we try to recover from these unforeseen issues. It is, unfortunately, having a significant effect on our business also.
    Kind regards,
    Beth Davidson
    AUSTRALIAN BLACKWORMS

Attachment 139877

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Is this the only source of farmed black worms world wide?

No. But there are only 3- 4 farms in the world. None of which can meet demand. Australian Blackworms were the largest supplier of freeze dried blackworms.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Brian

It looks like they've taken a real beating in recent times. It sounds like they're on the mend, but that much damage can't be fixed overnight. Hopefully they'll be back soon...

Registered Member

Al
    Couldn't some enterprising person start up a fdbw farm in CT?
    Such a person would be a biologist and an a aquarius
    and energetic.
    Any ideas?
    Jay

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    No. But there are only 3- 4 farms in the world. None of which can meet demand. Australian Blackworms were the largest supplier of freeze dried blackworms.
    Australian agriculture has been devastated by climate change. Crop production has been severely battered by a decade of drought, followed by two years of flooding, followed by a return of drought. Australia's position as a net exporter of grain will be severely affected. Blackworm production is just another example of collateral damage.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

I agree Willie.. whole heartedly....But.... I'm still licking my wounds here... lol... its okay to paint a more rosy picture At times like this.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Bottom line here Al, what is it you need from us friends and people that know what it is to be in your shoes. What in the hell can we do to help is what I'm asking. Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Jim

Al, this is absolutely heartbreaking my friend.
    I'll pray that the worms return in time and you make it through this. Let me know if anything changes.
    All the best,
    Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12