ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My discus are hiding all the time!!!

Registered Member

Question My discus are hiding all the time!!!

Hi guys

i bought my 5 red melons(3-3.5 inch) and 2 checkerboard (2.5 inch) last saturday but they keep hinding from me behind the sponge filter all the time wen am in the room moving or during feed them, but when ever am sitting at my desk and working on my PC these guys come out and flaunt their beautiful colors and swimming all over the place but as soon as i stand up or turn on the lights these guys feakout and hide behind the filter again

When i went to the breeders place i saw bigger discus not being scared and feeding aggressively, how do i get them to do that? should i remove the filter so they dont have a place to hide? i have a 65gallon bare bottom tank

Thank you in advance

Registered Member

Default Re: My discus are hiding all the time!!!

I am still learning about discus and there are way more knowledgeable on this forum. But if you have tested your water and all is good they may just need more time to adjust to their surroundings. I have only kept discus for a year now and have noticed they can be pretty bad for playing drama queens, especially when younger. They seem to get a little braver in greater numbers to me. Good luck with your new fish.

Its only been a week since they moved into their new home. If you are sure your water parameters are good and you see no signs of illness they probably just need more time to settle in.

Its normal when theres a sudden movement for fish to get nervous.... make your movements slow and deliberate until they settle in. . Also spend some time infront of the tank just watching them. They will get used to you in time...do this at feeding time and they will associate you with food and instead of hiding when they see you.. they will greet you in hopes of food.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

These are only 2.5" and bound to be a little intimidated. Follow Al's advice and give them some time to settle in. He said everything that was on my mind, lol... As long as they're eating they should be fine...