ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Guests and Lurkers.. or .....non posters

Default Guests and Lurkers.. or .....non posters

Heh all of you.......we're happy your reading this forum....and happy all you members are reading that dont post.....but how about some of you guys introduce yourselves. we love to meet new members and guests and beginner discus keepers are more than welcome!
    we all had to start somewhere and we all were first time posters at one time.
    so any question or if you'd like to introduce yourselves....this may be the perfect thread.
    I know a few who have registered or read ....so come on!!
    you dont have to be a novelist like our friend "Goldfish_in_a_bowl".....or and english scholar..we would like to meet newcomers and see who reads this..
    and love to hear about your discus. or what strains youd like to have if you dont have any yet!!! ;D ;D :cool4: :hat: we're all different but all have the same interest.

Default Re: Guests and Lurkers.. or .....non posters

Hi April,
    I have been a "guest" a few times, finally registered yesterday. (thank you)
    Why am I here? Well,.... Maybe I should  head to your bio section? ???
    Well here goes. (You asked, you receive)
    I am 44, married (21 yrs this month), 3 teenagers (that's where my fish $ go right now, school) He He, Its worth it, wonderful kids. (losing hair though)HE HE (from the kids, certainly never from marriage HE HE)  
    Anyway sometimes my posts get  a bit winded (still with me?)
    I only recently took the "risk"and joined a couple of fish forums and found I knew a little bit and that I could actually, once in a while help someone. That was a "good feeling". I am also learning a lot. And I have met some wonderful people. I see some of you here. Hope I haven't posted anything too Stupid or hurt anyones feelings, that surely is not my intent. (If it happens, I know how to apologize, let me know) That's part of the "risk" I was afraid of.
    Anyway, for the past twenty years I have been a welder/metalfabricator (make things like handrails, beams for buildings, water tanks, anything out of steel, stainless or aluminum). Before that I was in the army for 4 years in the medical field in Texas, LA, and Germany.
    I grew up in Montana, live in WI.
    Oh Yes, fish, I love the science of this hobby,  8)Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Medical, mechanical. etc
    I have been keeping fish for 25+years, including Discus off and on. I have breed many fish, but the Discus has eluded me (learned a lot from mistakes). This time may be the charm. In Feb I bought 8 beautiful PBS from Cary. They are really doing well so far in a 50 gal BB tank. I have about a dozen tanks, 4 in use right now for various fish. (will fill them all again someday!!)
    I like computers,fish, yard work, birds, woodworking, fish, trees, fish, home improvement, fish......he he he
    Right now work is very slow and my wife is working second shift, so I am fortunate to have all of you to share some time with.
    Ardan (steelhead) I'll just copy and paste a bio.HE HE

Registered Member

Steelhead,

Welcome aboard!  Thanks for the Bio - we'll move it for you to the bio section at some point!

From your post it seems evident that you know Cary - he's infected you with his HEE HEEs...

John

thanks steelhead. nice to meet you. im sure you do have lots to share.....and also as you can see by some posts....we're also here just to enjoy each others company sometimes as well. thanks for sharing. now we will know who we're talking to when we see your name.
    oh.....my kids told me apparently its your fish who give you the grey hairs! everytime i get another shipment the stress does it so they say.....LOL

Registered Member

Hi Ardan (steelhead)

I have only recently joined these forums and have found a wealth of information. And it is interesting to see that people out there are even more fanatical about these fish than I am!

Welcome

Ok whos next?
    come on.......speak up! see? Steelhead was brave.....and we all have some interesting stuff to tell  right?
    Its always interesting to see who has common interests and jobs as others. or........even the same fishies from the same breeders!!!!!  ;D
    step up.

Default tRe: Guests and Lurkers.. or .....non posters

Hi April and everyone,

I just want to say how excited I am to have found this forum! You folks are really supportive and friendly. I was using the usenet rec. aquaria topics and though informative they have their drawbacks. No Discus specific groups and a whole lot of BS flaming. Not for me....

To be brief, if that's possible, I live in Colorado Springs and I'm presently working for LVW Electronics. I'm their webmaster and all around IT & IS person. It's a cool workplace and I enjoy it immensely, but not as much as my Discus hobby which my husband also shares. We've had salt, and just about every other fish in the book but after the first few weeks with our discus we knew we were hooked.....how intelligent are these fish? I've seen them do things that amaze me. I think they are telepathic. But that's another story.

Well to wrap up I'm here to learn as much as possible, make some online friends and have a place to vent with other people who share the same obsession. Maybe someday I'll know enough to pay it back.

BTW, April, I fell in love with Mike's Sans and am waiting for his next batch to grow out to buy some...also looking forward to a few of Cary's SSPB's. Your little ones are awsome.

JR

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Steelhead - I recognize your name from Cary's forum, and hi again to you too Joan.  

We're a tight knit community here.  We get to know each other pretty well. Everything from who has hard water wells, to who's bought what fish from where, even a little about each other's families and problems.

Everybody brings a different mix of abilities.  That's why I like the bios.  I ask myself, does this person have similiar water to mine - maybe they found a solution to a problem I'm having, etc.

You can get aquarium help here from biologists, doctors, and electricians.  We have guys that own rock quarrys and work in water treatment plants.  Not to mention all the do-it-yourself inventors . . .

OK, who do I get to meet next?

Carol

Don_Lee

Welcome Ardan and Joan!  I am glad to see that such nice people have found their way to this board, you will add alot of knowledge and experience.

Don

Registered Member

Hello my name is Matt Linton and I am a daily lurker. ;D   I'm 33, been in the military for 12 years, live in Woodbridge, VA, married and have two beautiful children Alex and Tara.  I just started keeping discus about two months ago (wife hates it) with alot of help from Joe at Enchanted Discus.   And I became addicated from day one!  Right now I currently have 10 discus (3 bulldog x leapord's, 2 wg x bd's, 2 oriental leopard, 2 super brillant's and 1 bd all from Joe).   I check out most of the discus forum's daily, but I find myself coming to this one first and learn something new everyday.  

Matt Linton

Great Welcome Matt! we have anoterh Matt also...so I guess your king matt!
    hope you enjoy it and hope you enjoy your visits and dont be afraid to ask questions or share experiences!

Registered Member

Matt,

Hey!  Welcome and stop by more often!  How old are your WG X BD crosses?  I'm hoping to breed some RSG x BD crosses and I'd be curious to see how they come out!

John

Registered Member

John,

I got them just about a month ago and they are only 2.5, they look great so far.  I think Joe just got an adult WG x BD in this week.  I'm sure he will post a photo soon.

Matt Linton

Hello to all the new people. Sit down, and make yourselfs to home.
    Steelhead, hows it going? From what i read, i think you can help alot of people. Remember the things we say are what has worked for US. If someone disagrees so be it. We try to help with our own experiences and what might work great for us might not for others. So help out where and when you can.
    Hello Joan, keep comming back.
    And to"King Matt" I am your humble servant Matt. LOL
    The other Matt as April would say. :P
    See you all around i hope, Matt "the peasant."

Lol Matt...not sure i'd go so far as to call you a peasant......how about mr. Matt the totally dedicated!
    so dedicated that he takes his favourite discus with him no matter where he goes!!!!!

I can take mine with me also.....but on my palm pilot! downloaded! far less time to download than yours were! Oh and I have colour on mine also! : ;D

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast