AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for people with Fishrooms

Default Question for people with Fishrooms

Hello Folks,
        as I was  in my fishroom this morning trying to decide where to place all my tanks, A thought entered my mind.  The thought was  if I painted the walls blue would that be alright?  Then I thought I would'nt have to paint the backs of the tanks or stick something on the backs.  Anyone ever try this?  I need some other people's thoughts or experiences.  The walls are painted white at the moment.  Thanks all.

Darcy

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: Question for people with Fishrooms

HI Darcy:
    You can even leave the walls white.  Mine are light gray in my house.  No pepper on my pigeons.
    CArol

I kept the back of my tanks in hatchery & shop always open. The walls in my shop are very light blue, in the hatchery white. If you want to do experiments with colors, you can put colored card board at the back, easier to change as paint if you want to change

Other question?? people always talk about sides and back, what about the bottom?? Most people put their tanks on white styro, I always paint the styro redish brown before putting the tank on.
    Hans.

Thanks for the reply's Carol and Hans!!

As for pepper on the pigeons that really doesn't bother me at all.  Maybe I'll try a tank on one wall painted white and another light blue and see what I like best.
    As for the bottom I just got a 20 gal from a friend and the bottom of this tank is tinted a darkish color?  I asked him about it and he said this is how he bought it from an lfs.  I've never seen this before but it would seem I can't paint it or add any different color to it?

Darcy

Hi Darcy,
      I wouldn't call my menagerie of tanks a  hatchery, but fishroom is appropriate so I guess I can answer you  here!

I paint the bottoms  off-white, and the sides are either painted white or open.  I have found that the fish are actually least likely to spook in an open  tank, but the whitish background does   make the tank seem lighter.  Being the   junk addict that I am , I also have made use of commercial blue  backingsI got when I bought used tanks, and plantscape ones.

The walls right now are a mix of concrete block painted psychadelic  yellow and  green in a swirling pattern, with a giant rainbow  on it. I think it brings out their colors more! ;D ;D ;D ... J/k actually  Its white and there are large areas of unfinished  sheetrock , along with  bare 2x4's now!!!  Its under construction.

hth,
    al

Registered Member

Darcy.

Regarding the tank with the tinted glass bottom. My experience is it has a darkeneing effect on the discus. Peppering comes out in PB's and other fish tend to get darker too. Painting the bottom may help but I think the glass may tint the paint under it enough to maintain the darker bottom. I've never tried painting my tinted bottomed tanks. Give it a try and see how it goes.

I ended up deciding to not use tanks with darker bottomed glass. I sold the two I had. JMO. Or you could save those tanks for grow outs or CBW's etc.

Daniel

Thanks Brew and Dan.
           Al I would love to see your 60's wall after a few brews  and a  blotter or two!!! J/K  I think I'll try one wall blue and leave the others white. Got any pic's Al?

dan as for the tinted tank I think I'll use it for some convicts that I recently inherited!!
    Thanks for all the comments people!

Darcy

Hi Darcy,
      Okay, don't laugh too hard, and keep in mind that this is all temporary---just with me  temporary takes on a slightly more permanent  meaning..... ;D

.....You asked for it!!!!

hth,
    al

Brew!

A man after my own heart!  Tanks here, there and everywhere!

Of course,  I am going to "organize" my fishroom sometime soon.  I just always have something else that needs done first!

Jeff
    Oregon

Al,
     That reminds me of what my fish room use to look like. Think that is why the wife got a tad up set.
     But am going to wait to set up another one soon. Just have to set down and figure it all out.

Miles

Miles,
     I wish I had done that before I got all the tanks! :'( I can barely move around in their. I now have to clean the  garage (yuck!)  and move  atank there to do something as  simple as run  wires!   Look out when I build the rack system, I'll be knocking on neighbors doors..."excuse me , can I borrow a few spare feet in you basement and  1/2 an outlet?"  
     I can't even move them upstairs , because  there are already tanks in every room!
     -al

Ps jeff... ain't it great!? ;D

Registered Member

Hmmmmmm..........
    Well Ya'll can just Step aside... THE PRO is here!
    I prefer to set my tanks up with the DAY GLOW Plants.... CONFETTI GRAVEL.....and those Dandy Back grounds sold at any Local Wal-mart,..... Ya know.... the ones with the Platy's in the back ground! ;D
    Speaking of... does anyone know how to fix the Mickey mouse Scuba diver if his Air hose is clogged?? : well  am not sure if it is clogged or it could have been from the Flourescent Green Shark attack
    Okay........Okay..........
    THANKS FOR THE HELP and GREAT Info!
    and Thanks for the pics al... although """"SOMEONE""&quo t; is missing in the Pics! ;D
    Give her  BIG :-* :-* :-* :-* for me.
    Take care
    Karen

hi Sponge Bob.....
    Brew your fishroom is very unique. and your power bars look familiar.  now try and plug a power bar into a power bar and you will be set!!!!!!!!

Hey Brewmaster

I like it! Where's the beer cooler? :hat:
    Lee

Hi Lee!
    I forgot  a shot... latter tonight I'll  snap one of the inside  of the specialized storage facility!!!

-al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast