ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Heaters & Thermometers

Registered Member

Default Heaters & Thermometers

One more question! I think this will be my last question about equipment!

But I searched the forum and I couldn't find information about heaters and thermometers!

I searched some other forums about heaters and more than one place suggests 5 watts/gallon. Is that a good number? My house is always at 75-80 degrees and I'll keep my discus at 84-86 degrees.

What about brands of heaters? Visi-therm, Penn Plax, Acura, Proquatics, Rena Cal? Which one is the best?

Also, I would like a suggestion on a good, accurate thermometer. Is it worthy to get a digital one? I would get one if it's more accurate.

Thanks!

PS: Maybe we should create a forum for equipment only ... I would be there a lot!

Registered Member

Default Re: Heaters & Thermometers

waters_10.

I think you will find that most people who keep discus would recommend Ebo-Jager heaters. I have a couple and I think they work great. I also have mostly tronic (hagen) and they work great as well. I think I'll replace any Tronics that die (if ever) with ebo's. I like their sturdy glass.

And there is quite a lengthy post on heaters somewhere on this forum. Do a search, it shold be easy to find.

And for thermometers, I personally prefer the ones that stick on the outside of the tank. The "digital" ones with the black heat reactive compound inside. Dave_C sells some that even can be peeled off and reused.

I like these type because they don't get in the way when cleaning the inside of the tank and they are accurate, can't break, don't rust etc.

Just make sure they read high enough temp. for discus. Many of those only go up to 86...

Dan

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I just ordered some stick on thermometers from Dave_C.  I should get them tomorrow.  They're inexpensive and so is the shipping. Here's the link:
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/cgi-bin/...num=1024346635
    Carol

Registered Member

Hi water,
    I definitely reccomend Ebo Jager heaters too.  Fairly accurate, and they are tough and reliable.  For size, i would just go for a 250 watt.  IMO, the less the heater is on, the better.  I keep a 250 on my 45, and will even use a 250 for my 30.  As for thermometers, i just use the ones with the suction cups that you put on the glass.  Nice and cheap!  

Tyler

I have some old green Ebo's & some new ones as well.  I also have one Visa-therm but I don't like it as mush as the Ebo's.

As for Thermometers you can not go wrong with the one's from Dave Clubine.  I now have them for all my tanks & they are great!

Andy

Waters,
       On all my tanks I use EBO-Jager 250 watt. They work and usually will last a long time. And they are hard to break.

HTH
     Miles

Registered Member

Waters,

I'm not all that happy with the Ebos.  I have had 3 of 6 which have either not worked or have been poorly calibrated.  I recently returned 2 that didn't work at all.  They are supposed to be shipping me replacements.

To be honest, I have heard MUCH more positive feedback on the Ebos than negative.

Based on my experience with Visitherms - I owned 15 of them - I never had a single problem.  I will return to them for future heater purchases.

John

Hi all, I'm not impressed with the  Ebo's myself. I picked up a dozen about a year ago because of all of the great talk about them and have had nothing but problems with most of them. I too have started going back with the Visi-Therms. They seem to do a better job for me..........Randy

Registered Member

Hi Waters_10 !

I have been using Hagen heaters for some years for different kinds of fish (including Oscars and Midas !), and they are great, no temp changing, they are stable and the glass resists very well.

It's weird , I bought a new digital thermometer yesterday just to check if the old one (6 years) had an accurate reading and I was surprised because the old one reads 32 °C and the new, reads 30 ° C,   I don't know why, any thoughts ?

P.S. The thermometers are from different brand.

Take Care.

Bill.

Registered Member

the ebo's I have are working well. for a themo go to camera shop the handles supplies for home devolping, they are accurate and fast moving. around $20. With some treatment of sich fish calling for 92 temp. I wanted 1 for sure accurate. Bill

Real Name
    Willie

How many heaters you need depends on the temperature of the fish room and your target water temperature.  In the Winter, the temperature in my basement drops to around 60F (when its -20F outside) because I have to bring in fresh air for the furnace.  To maintain 82F, I need 2 X 300 W heaters for the 55-gallon tank on the bottom of the rack and 1 X 250 + 1 X 200 for the 55-gallon tank on the top of the rack.  In the Summer, I don't need any heaters at all.  

If you give us the temperature delta, we can tell you how many heaters and how large that you'll need.

Willie

Registered Member

Default AndRe: Heaters & Thermometers

Isn't it nice living in Minnesota Willie 20 below in the winter and 95 and humid as heck in the summer I love it.
                             Al M.

Default Re:Heaters & Thermometers

I know this is a old topic but I was wondering where everyone is putting their electronic digital thermometers. I have mine on the right side back of the tank down in the very corner and the heater is on the left side of my tank. Any better suggestions on where to put the heater and or thermometer?

Default Re:Heaters & Thermometers

That sounds good to me. 8)