ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebo Failure!!!

Default Ebo Failure!!!

Well,
    I know nothing is perfect but  I had my first problem with an ebo heater  on Sunday.  I just set up another breeder tank , and   put in a brand new  Ebo 100  in it. Plugged it, set it for 82, and went to bed. Woke up this morning and checked  the  tank temp.. ... Darn that water was cold !  Glad there was no fish in the tank!  Heater never went on. I tried it in other tanks, on other outlets, different temp setting, nothing.
     Any body else have  this happen with ebos, model TS
    -al

Registered Member

Default Re: Ebo Failure!!!

al - i had this happen - i setup a new tank in the basement and plugged everything in - the heater came on - i thought all was good - i went to bed, woke up and checked the tank...it was freezing...only my problem was i plugged everyting into a switched outlet - when i went to bed i turned out the lights (and the tank)...it was like a scene from christmas vacation - my wife figured it out...not exactly the same - but funny...

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I think it's pretty funny  :P (because I did the same thing once)

By the way, I have my bedroom tank lights all plugged into an outlet controlled by a wall switch so I can turn them all on at once.

I don't plug any of my tank lights into the power strip - that way I can keep my lights on while I clean the tank.

Carol

Yes....after about 8 months of use, I had one go out...really a little frightening!  Now, there are always two heaters in the tank.

Terri

Al,

YES... I was just about to post this. Remember I set up the second 55 gallon for my red turks last week? Well, I put in two Ebo 250's and set them to 86F... that usually keeps the tank somewhere between 84 - 86F. Well, I couldn't seem to get the temperature above 82F and the red turks were acting sluggish. I watched the heaters for a few hours, and noticed only one of them came on occasionally. I stuck my hand in and tapped on the other heater, and it lit up, but went right back off.

It stayed lit the entire time I was moving it around and trying to get it to work, but the second I let go, the light went off. Luckily I bought a spare one, but I hadn't planned on using the spare from the beginning! That Pet Place wouldn't replace it or take it back because I'd had my order for over a month before finally using the heater for the first time. I guess from now on I'll have to test everything the day it comes in whether I'm using it right away or not. I just hadn't expected problems with an Ebo from the start :-/

Ryan

WOW, mine was a 250 as well.

Terri

Registered Member

hey ryan - thats kinda wierd that a single 250 wouldnt get a 55 above 82...i have a single 250 in my 75 and that thing will crank the heat right up - its set at 85 and the tanks stays at 84.....i had to steal the 2nd one outta the tank for my holding tank...is the room that the tanks are in very cold or something...just curious...

d

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I have a single 250 in my 55 also and it maintains the heat without a problem - maybe your thermostat is off a couple of degrees - have you tried turning it up?

I've not bought any Ebo's recently - prices are way down - I wonder if quality is too?

Carol

Devin,

Good question. I think it's a mix of cheap thermometers and the fact that my tanks are now in the path of my room's AC vent. The tank is probably warmer than what the thermometer was registering, but it still wasn't as warm as it had been when the tank was on the opposite side of the room. I just moved all my tanks to the other side of my room last week.

The tank used to get a lot of sunlight in its original location and I wonder if that also had something to do with it. I notice the heaters are running a lot more now than they did before I moved the tanks around. In fact, they're on right now in both tanks--strange for a 94F Florida afternoon!

Ryan

Don_Lee

I have never used Ebo Jager heaters, although always heard they were great.  I have good luck with Rena TopCal heaters, I have 2 300's in my 180 and they do pretty good with keeping the temps up.  Have had fairly good luck with Tronic too.

Don

I have several ebos and none of them are accurate as far as the temp on the dial goes.

yes...ive had two that wouldnt even heat a 20 gallon. but..........I took it back to big Als..........and they replaced it. as they are guaranteed.  so take it back and they will replace it.

Registered Member

Al,

I watched the heaters for a few hours

Ryan
    ....... i hope you the on and off light didn't trip ya out  ;D ;D
    i had to return an ebo jager 250 watt back, it somehow had water/steam inside it. Didn't look too good and i wasn't up for any suprises. The weird thing was it couldn't heat my 55 up past 82 as well... but then when i put in a 200 watt ebo it got it up 2 84+ weird huh???
    perhaps something to do with the thermo setttings.

hey we may be on to something here,
    It happend to me last month with a ts 250, it got a 30 gallon so hot I could barely stick my hand in the tank, lost some sweet rsg's I was growing out. I got the heater replaced, but it was the first time ever in 18years that I ever had a heater fail, even the screw top ones.

Jason

Anybody have EBos contact info? An email address/website would be great.

thanks,
    al

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast