ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebo Failure!!!

Default Re: Ebo Failure!!!

just got my replacement yesturday, I looked all over the box and instructs and only came up with this.

EBO-JAGER
    149 Eucalyptus Drive
    El Segundo, CA 90245

Registered Member

You guys are making me nervous with all these instances of Ebo failure.  I never had one of my Visitherms fail in 12+ years of using them.  I know they have been universally reviled as being generally faulty, but I've never had a problem with them.  Now that I've gone to Ebo and hear all these stories...

John

You know John, I have never had a problem with Visitherm either.  Easy to use, easy to see.  I use them in the Tang tank, and I have had it forever!  I was really discouraged with the EBO failure.  So, I have two ebos in each discus tank.  

Terri

John,

I agree with Terri. Keep 2 Ebos in every tank. In fact, it's probably a common practice to keep 2 heaters in every tank, regardless of the brand. Then you can rest a little easier knowing that if one shorts out, you have a back-up to keep things toasty until you can get the problem taken care of.

Ryan

John,
     don't panic  ;D and I'm not saying that  because I recommneded them to you!  In all  my discus years I have heard of only one  Ebo's thermostat sticking and fish getting cooked... Jasons in this post. I have lost fish to both visitherm and profiles, as have many  other discus keepers.  I still think  Ebos are the safest for the high temperatures we keep or treat fish at. I don not  however  think they are as flawless as I used to think :'(, since everyone here posted there experiences.
    -al

Registered Member

At least there were no stories of Ebos getting stuck on and boiling the fish!  I will get 2nd heaters for my tanks next time I order.  I never really had to worry too much before because my other fish could all survive easily at room temperature for a little while if I did have a failure.  The only issue I ever had with a Visitherm was that my oscars used to pound on them - they never broke, though.

John

Hi all,
      Thanks Jason,  
       I used that info and did a search and heres what I came up ...

Ebo - Jager, Inc.
    149 Eucalyptus Drive
    El Segundo, CA 90245
    Tel: (310) 615-0286
    Fax: (310) 322-4859

I suggest  since  we discus  hobbyist use Ebos  so much, that we  make known our Concerns.

Take care,
    al

Registered Member

there's a similar thread over on "the" other board - chad has had similar probs with ebo's....kinda scary i just bought 3 of the new ones - they're still in the box - better test 'em...oh man....

d

Default ::) :) :-/Re: Ebo Failure!!!

I used to love Acura Heaters because they were so easy to read and set, but I've realized about 1 in 3 either doesn't work at all, or doesn't work up to par. I once placed three 250 watters in a 90 gal, and had to crank them all up to 92 before the temp stabilized at 84F!  :-/ : I even had airstones under two of them for heat circulation...now I'm Ebos all the way.

-Mike T

Registered Member

hey mike the only problem with those acura's is that the glass is so thin - ive had them shatter in my hand....i've also tried the new rena cal - it seems to work well...and the visitherms - i have one in my african tank that is ten years old and still crankin like new....

d

Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    Not that fuel needs to be added, but I have had similar difficulties with Ebo's I cannot get one to the job I usually have to have two. As the general rule it is three to five watts a gallon as everyone knows and I have a 250 and a 150 in a 75 gallon and my thermometer never registers the same as the thermostat on the heaters. I know that could be the heaters fault but in all my tanks? This bums me out a bit because I have close to a thousand watts of heaters going at any given time and it absolutely reflects in my energy bill. Al, let me know if you get anywhere with Ebo, unfortunately I doubt you will.

Thank you,
    Alex  

Registered Member

John, FYI Chad had an Ebo stay on and fry a breeding pair of his and has three other faulty Ebo's. Hate to paint gloom and doom but it has happened just not to any of us. I am looking in to the titanium tubes, I just hate to spend money on new heaters when I have so many new and almost new Ebo's but that is the quagmire we are in keeping such expensive kids.

Alex

Registered Member

Alex,

With all the heaters out there, I'm sure it happens all the time.  There really isn't anything you can do about it, either, unless you go heaterless and crank the temperature up to 85 in the fishroom.

It is scary, though...

John

i think anyone who has had a bad experience write ebo as they say one letter is worth 10,000 responses. only way they will know there is a glitch they better work on. Chads cooked his pair .and so did Jasons. he came home to boiling water!
    im sure they get the returns.....but a letter will bring it to their attention far better.  ;D

yeah it was freaky, actualy burst the thermometer in the tank,
    I'm thinking of getting those "add on" heater thermostat controlers just as a safeguard.

Jason

and I got a feeling that ebo doesn't aprove of laying the heaters horizontaly on the bottom, just read the instructions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast