AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ebo Failure!!!

Registered Member

Default Re: Ebo Failure!!!

so has anyone sent a note to Ebo yet....?

just curious...

d

Hi all,
    Just got off the phone  with Ebo. They were very polite and helpful. I'll be  shipping mine back for a look at.  They require  $3.50  for shipping.

Some general  info.  I described how we have  all been experiencing  problems with what used to be a flawless  heater. And how we were starting  to doubt teh reliability.They were very surprised(genuinely). They said they   rarely get returns and take great pride in their work. I mentioned the concerns about quality and they  basically said that they always use the highest quality material .

I asked explained the numbers of people with probelms  and asked if they would mind me posting a  suggestion that those with probelms  contact them, and they  would appreciate  it you all would.  

Please call 310-615-0286 and tell what  you have experineced

My personal suspicion  is there may be a probelm they are unaware of  because  many people probably throw away the faulty $12-15 heater and buy a  new one.  I almost did.

Hope this helps,
    al

Ps,  per EBO>>>>
     the Ts model is  submersible , but  for it to be UL listed   , the wires can not  be in the water. They actually make  2 versions  of the same heater, one that has  a minimum  water  line and one that has a maximum water  line. Ebo said  it was a consumer choice , but they as  the manufacter would prefer you not have  the heater wire sumbmerged.   They gave  me the Ul listing as a reason, water hardness affects the seal at the wire,  some fish aggressively attack the wire, etc

great work Al!

although I think I'm still gonna go with a external thermostat/control, there is just some fish I don't want to gamble with.

Jason

Registered Member

AL - so that means that we shouldnt be laying the ebos down horizontal in the tank - has anyone ever experienced a problem keeping them vertical and doing water changes?  i guess we should all do the right thing and turn them off prior to a WC....will have to rewire so i can just turn off with a switch...hmmmm...back to home depot...

d

Hi , I just wanted to bring this up to the top again for  Mr. Bass

-al

I have never had a bad experience with Ebo heaters. They are my choice to use. I did buy a Tronic to try out when they were new. 6 months later, it cooked a dwarf cichlid tank I had set up. Never again for them.

Mat

Registered Member

I have used only ebos in my 11 tanks with no problems for years.I only use 1 per tank and they are mounted horiz.near the bottom of the tank.They are also all 250 watt.I have been thing of trying the new digital titaimtumn (sp) heaters with the outside controls,only thing holding me up is I can get 2 of the ebos for the price of one of the digital guys.If we could get a deal on a large order maybe I would buy some.
    I always mark on the tank when I installed the heaters in the tank.After about a year I like to test the heaters and start replacing them.
    Mench

Registered Member

Bad Dog

I see you had trouble with a Tronic. I use tronic but only for a short time and so far so good. Seems like it depends on your personal experience.

Anyone else out there have bad (or Good) experience with tronic?

Dan

Don_Lee

I used tronic heaters for awhile exclusively.  I always noticed that my temps were not staying very stable, and sometimes it seemed to take awhile to warm up my tanks when doing w/c and during setup etc.  I switched to Rena TopCal about 6 months ago and find them to keep a much more even temp, no probs so far.  I had really figured on getting some Ebos when I replaced the Rena's, but now I don't know about that!

Don

Real Name
    Walter

Default Re:Ebo Failure!!!

I always mount my heaters (Ebos included) diagonally and have it mounted in front of the flow of a powerhead. Both heater and powerhead (as well as the powerfilter) connected to the same outlet (most of the time with a switch) - so when I turn off the filters to do a water change, the heater gets switched off too.

Walter

I never had one fail yet but don't they guarantee a +/- 1F?
    Well, mine are always -3-4F.
    I was not worried about this before; I over adjust to compensate this. Now you guys are getting all heated up. That's false advertisement, don't you think.
    An the adjustment knobs are very sticky within a month in use.

To cover all bases, I use 3 different manufacturers of thermometers.

Thanks and Take Care.

I have not been happy with the last 6 EJs I bought. None of them can get the temp past 88, and half of them stay stuck on or don't come on at all. I have begun looking for a better heater..so far I like Jalli titanium and Rena TopCal Excel.
    Ebo Jaeger has lost my business until we have another 3 page thread stating how great they are again!
    >
    Lynn

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
    For me ,it really helps!
    8)

Registered Member

[quote author=brewmaster15 link=board=8;threadid=754;start=15#9104 date=1019556731]
    John,
    *don't panic *;D and I'm not saying that *because I recommneded them to you! *In all *my discus years I have heard of only one *Ebo's thermostat sticking and fish getting cooked... Jasons in this post. I have lost fish to both visitherm and profiles, as have many *other discus keepers. *I still think *Ebos are the safest for the high temperatures we keep or treat fish at. I don not *however *think they are as flawless as I used to think :'(, since everyone here posted there experiences.
    -al
    [/quote]

I had two Ebo's fail (stuck on) in the past six months. Niether was more than a year old either. Luckily, I wasn't on vacation and caught the problem both times at about 92 degrees-not quite high enough to cook my fish. When they work, they are quite accurate and precise. I've also had both Rena-Cal and a couple of Acura 100's stick on. Maybe I'm cursed. I'm now trying the Pro-Heat II titanium heater. Not incredibly precise (+/- ~2 degrees F) or accurate (however, these allow user adjustment-a pain though). Only had it for about a month, so still too soon to judge.

I've been considering a teclima (teco ca-200) chiller/heater. I'm planning on metal halides, so I think the chiller might be good insurance and they have a heater built in. Does anyone have experience with these?

Registered Member

This is something I DO NOT QUITE UNDERSTAND,
    I have been useing the ebo-250 w. for over a decade. The reason .. others had failed. etc.

I have has two of the black top models be unreliable; However. I still have found them to be th most stable heater, avaiilable in Canada. Reguarding, Triontonics .. I have 22 operating .. no problems .. fully submerged - mind you the auto-shutoff does not seem to work -- lower the water too much , refill , boom.

Ahhh, only in Canada.

Smokey

This has been a very long ongoing debate .. aka simplydiscus.

I rely on the Ebo's for reliablity, long life. AND TOTAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL. This has been my personal expierence.

Perhaps, here in Canada, we have tighter controls.. aka -- CANADIAN STADARDS CONTROLS [ CSA]. ??

After all, we are not used to liquid water ... only the frozen version... Smokey

And Yes ..we have had snow falls; permanent on the higher slopes. temperary on the streets .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast