ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: California Blackworms information

Registered Member

Default Re:California Blackworms information

Oops, too late! I did not rinse the blackworms before I gave it too my 6 discus. They went nuts over these guys! Two weeks ago I bought 2 Wattley red pandas and 1 imported blue diamond. They are 3" and are harrassed during feeding time by my 3 4-5" German red turqs. I have never really seen my blue diamond eat until I dropped those wigglers! He was harassed but it did not stop him from eating. I am going to give them blackworms from now on! This time I am going to rinse them as you recommended. I hope I did not harm them from feeding them unrinsed blackworms. There is a slight odor. Is this normal? I doubt the LFS rinses these guys daily. Oh yeah, what do you mean by "aged" water?

Brew that is a great thing you did here, colating the CBW info like this. That must have taken a bit of your family time. I tend to speak from memory & that ain't always what it used to be so to have all the actual text & links is excellent... I hope the nay-sayers will take note & provide equally good references for their arguments

I have about 200 adult fish & feed them CBW's once a day, last feeding, I go through about 5 lbs per week, unless I have a large number of stingrays come in, then that doubles or more ......if you thought Discus were pigs... even small rays can eat a netful in one gulp! LOL..everyone eats CBW's ( well, I don;t but my fish do)

Dan is very consciencious about his product & I feel very comfortable getting my supplies from him, given the extremes he goes to in order to ensure a clean product.
    There are always codas tho, they do need to be kept clean & not overfed ( in one sitting anyway) for the previously mentioned reasons.
    I cannot speak to what other CBW breeders are doing, a long time ago I used to get them from a trout farm in Carolina somewhere but then I discovered Aquatic foods.
    Dan also has amazingly good prices on hikari frozen bloodworms, which are the only ones I would use as they are triple sterilized & vitamin enriched.

;D ;D :

Registered Member

When it comes to feedin your discus CBW, does it affect there colours at all?

For better or worse? (Man I was hoping to never say those words again!!hehe)

Thanks,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

I have been using CBW's for over a year, and I cannot personally say that I have seen any difference in color as a result. But then again, I use other types of food, in addition to the CBW's.

Judi

Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I am not sure this is the right spot for this post but I need help. With all the talk about how good and clean CBW is, and Brew's personal testimony, I've decided to get some. The problem is I can't seem to get a response from Dan at Aquatic foods. It's been almost a month since I've submitted my credit card info along with my order and still no CBW. I've email Dan numerous times and tried calling the number listed on their web site but never got a response back. Everyone is saying how easy it is to reach Dan and how wonderful the experience in buying CBW is from Dan....where am I going wrong? Is there a way to reach Dan that I haven't figured out yet? I can't believe I am trying so hard to give Dan my business (it should be the other way around). So, if anyone here can reach Dan easily, or Dan if you see this post, please email me. Thanks everyone!

Mike

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

I have the same problem Mike. I been ordering from dan for several months. Usually I order cbw twice a month. My last order was horrible. More than half of the worms are dead or dying. I tried to rinse and rinse with no avail. Even the leaches are dead. The box was suppose to arrive on Tuesday but did not arrive till Wednesday afternoon and the ice was melted.
    I wanted to see if dan will rectify this or maybe give me a discount on the next order. This is the first time. Usually the worms looks great with no complaints.

Where are you Dan. Talk to me

Dan

Everyone
    You all know how fast I respond and confirm orders.
    I don't know if its AOL's new spam blocks or what but I am not receiving a lot of emails.
    Please send more then one of the same email.
    Also try blkwormsarehere@aol.com
    along with blkworm@aol.com

Also you can also call 559-291-0623 and talk to Elaine
    or fax to 559-291-0601

Believe me I'm more frustrated then you all.

Dan

Please pass the previous post around if this topic
    comes up in conversation.
    Thanks for the help.

Dan
    blkwormsarehere@aol.com
    blkworms@aol.com

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

Hi Folks,
    Dan is sending me CBW without cost. Thank you Dan you made a loyal costumer out of me. Like I said before I have NEVER had any trouble in the past and will continue to order CBW from Dan.

Dan

Registered Member

Reading about this brings to me a question mark to my head. I've tried in the past BW with my breeding pair and the results were excellent but after a few weeks of feeding BW I started to have problems with Hole in the Head and discus dying on me has anyone had the same expierence. by the way a stop feeding BW I only use TUBI or arthemia more desease controlable

Registered Member

Regarding the leaches living with the blackworms. I take them out when I see them. Are they dangerous? Can the leaches harm the fish?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Leeches don't harm the discus, but they don't eat thm either.

Just a quick atta boy to Dan at CBW. I ordered my first batch of CBW on Monday night, And had great looking worms on my desk at work (in Kansas) by Wednesday afternoon. I know some had complained recently about service. I had no problem. And the worms are much better than what I got from the LFS.
    Cary M.

Registered Member

isnt that a whole lot of work? all the cleaning of the worms, and its expensive too! i was hoping to do somthing like cbw, but the expense and all the cleaning seems too much for me, what else can i do, now i feed color bits, frozen bs, bloodworms, and some beef heart. Do i need anything else? and no, i dont feed that all at once, i change it up.

Being kinda new to discus, I am no expert. you will find a lot of difference of opinion about this issue even on this web site though. Many of the moderators and senior members whose opinion I respect( Brewmaster, Cary-GLD, Carol Roberts) Speak highly of CBW. Your well rounded routine that you are currently doing is pretty good also, but I think you will be impressed that the CBW are worth there expense and hassle. As reguards expense, Dan at aquatic foods runs some great specials. I order a pound of CBW and found that it will probably give me at least as many meals for the fishies as the same $$ worth of prepackaged frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. And the fish love it! Just my opinion.
    Cary M.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast