AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California Blackworms information

Registered Member

Default Re:California Blackworms information

I have a question... Does anyone here know if the blackworms are ok for Beta fish to eat? Thanks for your time.

Registered Member

I have seen several sites that include blackworms in the betta diet, especially for conditioning for breeding. Try this site:

http://www.splendidfarms.com/Feeding_the_Adults.html

I feed my daughter's betta with the blackworms a couple times a week and the betta acts like a puppie when he sees me come towards his tank. His tank is planted and has some floating stem plants that I put 2 or 3 worms on. This slows their fall to the bottom and the betta gets them easier. He will hunt for them between the plants and rocks as well.

Does anyone get them from the LFS? They sell them for $1 for a small container, but the owner rolls his eyes when I ask him where they come from. The LFS is minutes from my house, so is the best option. If they are all alive, and don't have an odor, is there must risk involved? I have fed them to my SA community tank with good results.

Registered Member

I was getting them from the lfs to try them out for a couple weeks. The lfs here is pretty good so I gave it a try. Most of the time the worms were clean and looked good, but occasionally they would not be so clean (very hazy, slimy water when rinsed). I think the staff at the lfs sometimes misses the worm maintenance, or there are other problems.

Once I knew my young discus liked the worms, and the holidays had passed, I started ordering from Dan at aquatic foods. I have been happy with his worms. They come in clean and I do the daily rinsing (2x a day when they are about 1/2 inch deep in the worm keepers and 1x a day once they get to about 1/4 inch deep in the worm keepers). This way I know the worms have been maintained (by me) and are not heavily growing bacteria.

If you do get them from you lfs, follow the worm instructions in this thread and wash them a couple times a day for a couple days to make sure they are clean prior to feeding them to your fish. If you have doubts, don't feed.

vickie

Registered Member

I just recieved my order from Dan at aquatic foods and he is the best (my personal feeling) his cutomer service is great and his product is wonderful, always clean, shipped to my door, never smelly, no haze on top of the water, and a whole lot better than any LFS. So if anybody is looking for the LFS alternitive for CBW than Dan is the man. Here is his link. http://aquaticfoods.com/worms.html

Registered Member

Hi everybody,
    Only one question- Garlic will not kill CBW should we use it in clining process?.

Chris

rcubeiii

Cary from Great Lakes Discus suggested adding some methylene blue to the water to help get rid of any surface slime. Tried this on my last batch with a few drops in the water in addition to a VERY thorough initial washing and found it really helped clean them up. Keep 'em clean if you want to avoid problems!

Registered Member

if you soak the black worms in garlic a few min before feeding they will not die I haven't try longer though

Registered Member

I have been ordering from Dan for a little over 2 months. His service has always been outstanding. Worms have always been fresh and with daily rinsing, they look as healthy at 2 weeks as they did the day they arrived. My betta's, Africans and SW reef fish love them as well.

Registered Member

Hi ,

I use garlic in my CBW holding tank ( garlic guard ).
    No problem, I keep them a life for two week's or more.

Chris

Registered Member

Default Re: California Blackworms information

What the deal with the web site? It's been down for quite some time? I found a new dealer for you guys and I need to get them some worms.

Hi Tiptop,

I didn't have a problem getting to the Aquatic Foods site. Try this link:

http://aquaticfoods.com/

Judi
    There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone, and everyone knows what they mean.
    But what's more important is the time that is known, as that little dash there in between.

Real Name
    Jim

I've been feeding live black worms to my Discus longer than I think there has been a CBW from Aquatic foods and have never noticed any health problems relating to the feeding of them. Like Carol, I feed them twice a day and go through about 1lb per week... hey, they like them The past few months I've been using a solution of 1 drop of M blue per 1/2gal of water to rinse and hold them in and have no problems ordering every other week.. these worms always arrive much cleaner and healthier than any I've bought from an LFS..

My fish give them 2 thumbs up

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Hey Jim!

Gosh, I am so glad you said that! Every once in a while i read a post about all the damage cbw can do and I just read one from someone that I value his opinion and, of course, I was trippin...( actually, I did just literally trip, in my kitchen, and a saucer went flying with cbw in it! It was awful, those slimy things splattered all over my cabinets!)

Anyways, I have fed my discus them from the moment Cary sent them to me in September and they are beautiful! But sometimes i get paranoid....I get them from Dan as well~

You made me feel better!

Your A Good Man, Charlie Brown~

Marie~

Ok my question is this . This thread was started about 2 years ago it seems ..... I would like to know if anyone here has ran into some disease problems while using live black worms? If so please pm me or let me know here. I have been hearing nothing but good things about this product and im glad to hear it. Its rare to hear no health problems occuring from a live food like this. Eventually there is always some somewhere . So please help me out. Thanks, Rashidi

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast